Kingfisher

Edit My Images
No
For the last 6 months or so I have been looking for a decent place to take some pictures of a Kingfisher and I have to say it has become a little bit of an obsession to be honest. Anyway I finally found somewhere reasonably local and after reading their blog decided this was the place to get my photos.

I then began my quest.

This was the first try, as you can see even at 500mm on a crop it's not the most successful of pictures but at least I got to see the prey

My first Kingfisher ... 500mm
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

My second sighting was a few weeks later, a blue blur as it flew right past me.

Kingfisher

This weekend was my third sighting ... and I have to say when it perched down right in front of me I nearly forgot how to use a camera, years of experimenting, testing and learning the controls totally went out of the window and I just took picture after picture hoping one or two would come out ok. :)

Kingfisher

Kingfisher

Kingfisher

Kingfisher

So I finally got there .... now to try and get some in decent light.

Last edited:
Well done. Perseverance paid off. Nice shots.

Well done Mike you have been rewarded well.As good as any other KF set, the storyline adds to it also.Look forward to seeing some more from you.

I know the feeling Mike, you wait and wait, you never expect them, they fly in, you want to take a few shots as you think that they will leave, plus you want to check the screen to make sure that you have not messed up, but luckily with K's they hang around for a white,

the last time I was in S Africa, I chased them by canoe up river and they always stay exactly the same distance in front of me - just out of range … they were playing with me

Well done ….. worth the persiverence

A fine set of shots Mike, due rewards for the effort you have put in.

After looking at the first two images I must admit to think you were mad to post them, even with the developing story line. Then with a bang, plus a big smile from me came the rest of the images. I must say they are excellent.

Been their on many occasions, I was lucky to get a good spot for two years on the run, a decent set of the Juvenile kingfisher keeping busy (y)

Congratulations, it's a great feeling isn't it :)

Lovely! I especially love the one with the fish in it's beak!! Jealous? Moi? YES!
Nice work.

Thanks for the comments, appreciate it.

After looking at the first two images I must admit to think you were mad to post them, even with the developing story line. Then with a bang, plus a big smile from me came the rest of the images. I must say they are excellent.

Glad you enjoyed the story, I thought it may be more interesting than just posting a few pictures :)

Back