Kingfishers Mating

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
*Now updated to a larger size*

Not to the same standard as Martins excellent flight sequence, here's a sequence from today of 2 Kingfishers at RSPB Rye Meads mating (I was going to do the sequence before I saw Martins thread!). Looking at it now, I guess I should really cut some shots out, but I wanted to show the whole sequence so there we go.

Last edited:
I hope they both consented :eek:

Nice set, would like to see a bigger one :)

Great sequence Chris. You dont get to see this that often.

Well done (y)

Wham bamb thankyou mam!
Almost in-flight procreation.

Excellent sequence

That's awesome - excellent shots!

Think it should have a NSFW tag tho'! ;)

Thanks for the comments all :) This was actually the first time I've ever seen a Kingfisher and didn't realise seeing them mate was anything special until the guy next to me said he's been taking kingfishers for 5 years and never caught them mating before! They actually did it again but in a tree and obstructed by branches. These were shot at 630mm, the guy next to me had a 600mm lens with a 2x tc, so I'd love to see this sequence at 1200mm! Sad thing was I arrived at the hide at 10:40, this all happened at 10:50, they left and I sat there until 4pm for them only to return very far away towards the end! Good job I got these or would have been a wasted day!

Tina: I'm not sure about rights on flickr...if I can't stop people downloading it without stopping them seeing it entirely can I?

Last edited:
You will have a long wait to see that again - well done sir!

rare to see yet alone get shots too ,very well done.
Rob.

Very nice sequence and well caught.
Saw this same behaviour the first time I photographed Kingfishers and thought this is easy........HOW WRONG WAS I! :D

Ross

Very nice sequence and well caught.
Saw this same behaviour the first time I photographed Kingfishers and thought this is easy........HOW WRONG WAS I! :D

Ross

Sounds like I won't be able to simply go back next weekend and get the same thing but with better light then! Such a shame it was quite cloudy with no sunlight. Just a bit of light would have added much more punch I reckon.

Back