Lack of Enthusiasm

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Yesterday was the first day I couldn't be bothered to pick up my camera so I forced myself out twice to see if I could get it back. However after a few shots each time my heart wasn't really in it like it has been.

Think I have burnt myself out with all the testing of various setups and should have probably just kept the kit list as my reversed setup and my Tamron setup for now and waited for winter for the other tests.

So I may be absent for a little while with posting images though will still be looking through the threads and responding.

Tamron 90mm VC + 1.4x TC + 20mm tube

Image heavy... kinda a semi final horrraaaahh

Tamron-2161-01
by bthomas124, on Flickr

2. Plant Hopper

Tamron-2167-02
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Tamron-2181-06
by bthomas124, on Flickr

4. Rotated Left

IMG_2157
by bthomas124, on Flickr

5. True orientation

IMG_2155
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_2153
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_2150
by bthomas124, on Flickr

8. Do Ladybirds Molt???? Found this thing looks very sorry for itself.

IMG_2138
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
As always some nicely shot images Bryn :).

Burn out i completely understand especially with macro work as it can get stale if the variety of subjects or type of shots don't change significantly. Give yourself a breather but do keep up the cracking work, it's always good to see :).

Yesterday was the first day I couldn't be bothered to pick up my camera so I forced myself out twice to see if I could get it back. However after a few shots each time my heart wasn't really in it like it has been.

Think I have burnt myself out with all the testing of various setups

Similar here.

So I may be absent for a little while with posting images though will still be looking through the threads and responding.

I've been doing other things; I expect I'll get back into the photography in a while.

It's been a great pleasure, and instructive too, to follow your experiments and see your rapid progress to a very high standard. You have been very generous with your time, explaining the ups and downs of your journey, and in your input to many others' photos, methods and issues. I think it's difficult (impossible?) to sustain that degree of involvement week after week, month after month. So don't fret. Give yourself a break, and do some other things for a while. I'm sure your enthusiasm will return.

Great shots once more :) ...I had the same feeling over weekend, it was incredibly hot weather at thought I must try testing out my new macro set up... I found it very hard going and failed to get any decent shots at all,very frustrating.

Same here, but for me, my loss has been for car photography. So I started getting into the macro stuff (y) thanks to yourself bryn, mr.clark, sharky, les, nick and a ton of other users who have been most helpful with tips and critique over the last couple of months.

But do what I did, go photograph other stuff (y) lets see some family portraits/pet portraits/street photography. You got lots to offer fella and getting some photos of your kids going into a strop would be fantastic (I got it to come)!

Once the macro stuff wears off, hopefully not until the summer is over, I can get my event stuff back on the go, maybe some more cars, boxing and people photos until that gets on my nerves then come spring - I'll be back into the macro stuff :)

At least you're not going anywhere :banana: and you'll still be here, letting us know what you think of our images and what we could do to improve them, from a different vantage point (hopefully some of that will re-light the spark in your enthusiasm).

Deffo do some other types of photography, keep it going :hug: hahahahahhaa

Yep, you need to shoot other genre's. I must admit I wondered how long it would be before you lost the love for it having seen all the photos on flickr.

I've done it with fish keeping, I used to swap my stock every week and the scape would get changed the same if not more. In the end I just lost the thing for it and sold all my stuff and went with photography.

Give something else a go but don't get obsessed with it. :)

Thanks for your kind words all...

@minnnt not fallen out of love with the bugs/macro as so many more to capture but just taken on too much I feel... as what Nick @GardenersHelper said. But you are right and I do get a little obsessed with things (what my wife says anyhow :eek:) but I will definitely be back on the bugs again soon just need to find my spark again.

Think the best option is do some people work, not street as like looking at pictures but certainly dont have the balls to do it. I take plenty of my girls just don't really post them online occasionally on facebook but thats only normally phone pics. The wife is not a very willing subject doesn't have the patience for the posing and waiting for me to get settings right and I mean about 30 seconds is too long. :p

I have a few that are worth getting critiqued here so will get some up.

Sorry you're feeling a bit fed up with it Bryn
maybe try some different subjects like dragonflies or something similar thats close up rather than full on macro for a change
or try different sites for a new challenge
it would be a shame to miss the summer

Ah burn out. It is a funny old thing. I know it's difficult to remember sometimes but this is supposed to be fun! Don't force yourself to do it if you don't want to. Before too long you'll be itching to be crawling through the undergrowth again.

Once the macro stuff wears off, hopefully not until the summer is over, I can get my event stuff back on the go, maybe some more cars, boxing and people photos until that gets on my nerves then come spring - I'll be back into the macro stuff :)

Carl, after Summer comes Autumn, a great time of year to practice extreme macro photography on lots of little springtails that inhabit the leaf litter. Just sayin.... ;)

Bryn,I will be back in a month time, I hope I can still see your nice shots soon !!!

I have a slightly different feeling,I am still in love with the marco bugs shooting,but fed up with the quality of my photo and lack of good composition which is 'that moment ' if you know what I mean. However I understand the marco bugs images take time to practice and b lucky enough or patient enough to wait for the moment.

I hope you won't b away for long and we can share bugs again!

Anyway,you should do the things that make you happy :D

Ah burn out. It is a funny old thing. I know it's difficult to remember sometimes but this is supposed to be fun! Don't force yourself to do it if you don't want to. Before too long you'll be itching to be crawling through the undergrowth again.

Carl, after Summer comes Autumn, a great time of year to practice extreme macro photography on lots of little springtails that inhabit the leaf litter. Just sayin.... ;)
ooooh. I need to do some searching on here for springtails and see what pops up (y)

From Wikipedia:

"In sheer numbers, they are reputed to be one of the most abundant of all macroscopic animals, with estimates of 100,000 individuals per cubic meter of topsoil,[21] essentially everywhere on Earth where soil and related habitats (moss cushions, fallen wood, grass tufts, ant and termite nests) occur."

In short, they are everywhere!

From Wikipedia:
"In sheer numbers, they are reputed to be one of the most abundant of all macroscopic animals, with estimates of 100,000 individuals per cubic meter of topsoil,[21] essentially everywhere on Earth where soil and related habitats (moss cushions, fallen wood, grass tufts, ant and termite nests) occur."

In short, they are everywhere!

Lol but you definitely need to get your eye in to spot them.

Ok that was a bit mean ;) In truth they can be quite a pain to find and I never seem to find them when I want to!

They need damp conditions, being so small and not having a tough cuticle to trap moisture they are very prone to desiccation, so look in the damp places, under rocks or fallen branches and pieces of bark; especially following some rainfall. In Autumn your best bet is to hunt under fallen leaves.

Some great shots (y) Rather like the first shot with the clean clinical background,a bit different for a live subject.
Clive.

Just found out this entry won me some points on the POTY2014 and got some good comments even though I clipped a leg :(

IMG_0714
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Well chuffed ... forgot I had entered it... lol

Last edited:
Back