Lake Toya, Hokkaido, Japan

Name
Alison
Edit My Images
No
One of my photos of Lake Toya from my most recent trip to Japan.

Lake Toya is a volcanic caldera lake. The water never freezes and it really was a deep strong blue colour. Never seen any lake in the UK anywhere near this blue.

View attachment 20717

Last edited:
Very nice I like the deep blues to this and the red light contrasts very nicely.

I don't think your image is reflecting how blue you say the water was which is a shame. There's nothing in it to hold my interest I'm afraid and it's very nosy and a bit soft.

I don't think your image is reflecting how blue you say the water was which is a shame. There's nothing in it to hold my interest I'm afraid and it's very nosy and a bit soft.

Thanks for the feedback. Can I ask how it isn't reflecting how blue it is? The water was a deep dark blue colour, and the photo is the deep dark blue so I am a bit confused. Is it due to how smooth I made the water? Hopefully if you can explain what you mean a bit, I'll be able to show what it was like, better next time.

I also noticed the noise. Not sure why I have so much noise at ISO 500 on a D7000, in a hardly edited photo [slight curve for the sky]. Yet other photos, on the same camera, at higher ISO have hardly any noise in comparison..

I thought it must have been something other than what you managed to capture. I guess I was comparing it to the blue lakes, lochs and seas I see all the time all over. You just need the right conditions I guess.

The fact it's almost dark I think is why the blue isn't coming across as well. Most bodies of water turn deep blue at night, and this doesn't stand out as being as blue as you mentioned. I find the red light extremely distracting and agree that it looks soft. Noise could be done to exposure time, how long was this exposure?

Thanks momoka and thanks for the feedback Jake.

The water was a deep blue colour both during the day and in the evening, there wasn't much change in the colour in the night/evening from the day. I guess its my mistake to describe it as being a deep blue colour.

The exposure was 30 seconds so that would be the noise. The other photos which I originally tried around 20 seconds also have a lot of noise.

Aperture was f13 and the lens was 16mm.

Last edited:
Back