Lanternflies & Trophobiosis

Name
kurt
Edit My Images
No
Trophobiosis between lantern bug and cockroach. The lantern bug are <i>Pyrops cultellatus yoshiakii</i> Nagai & Porion, 2002. No ID for the roach yet. Selangor, Malaysia.
Pyrops cultellatus yoshiaki IMG_8131 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Lantern flies / lantern bugs - Zanna terminalis nymphs and adult. Selangor, Malaysia.
Zanna terminalis IMG_6383 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Zanna terminalis IMG_6662 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Zanna terminalis IMG_6392 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Marbled Bent-toed Gecko (Cyrtodactylus quadrivirgatus) waiting beside a few lantern bug nymphs (Zanna terminalis), presumably waiting for their honeydew excretes. Night find, Selangor, Malaysia.
Gecko &amp; Fulgorid Trophobiosis IMG_6487 copy (2) by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

A skittish Four-clawed Gecko (Gehyra mutilata) enjoying honeydew excrete from a Fulgorid (Prolepta sp.). Selangor, Malaysia.
Gehyra mutilata IMG_7121 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

A Frilly Gecko (Hemidactylus craspedotus) enjoying free flow of honeydew from a few lantern bugs (Pyrops oculata). Malaysia.
Pyrops oculata &amp; Frilly Gecko IMG_2831 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Frilly Gecko (Hemidactylus craspedotus) enjoying free flow honeydew excrete from a Fulgorid (Dichoptera sp.). Selangor, Malaysia.
Frilly Gecko &amp; Fulgorid - Trophobiosis IMG_0898 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

More beautiful lantern bugs of Malaysia and Borneo: http://orionmystery.blogspot.com/2011/03/lantern-bug-lantern-fly.html

OMFG these are so amazing, you gotta love those lantern bugs, they are like the posh bugs of the insect world (nose up) :D and the Geckos are amazing too with the camo.
Love them all Kurt (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Love your lantern bugs too!

I did think the 2nd one in particular looks slightly overexposed, but there are no blown highlights. Still, I think bringing the highlights down a touch may bring out more detail. I can see that the branch should be very pale anyway. Have you changed your lighting setup recently?

Love your lantern bugs too!

I did think the 2nd one in particular looks slightly overexposed, but there are no blown highlights. Still, I think bringing the highlights down a touch may bring out more detail. I can see that the branch should be very pale anyway. Have you changed your lighting setup recently?

Thanks, Timmy. Been using a 60mm F2 for the past one year while my MPE65 sits in the drybox. All shot with a 60mm F2 except #7, natural light with 150mm + 1.4x TC. No change in lighting setup but these were old shots.

#2 looks fine on my display. Mine is a cheap Acer laptop though but I have it calibrated with Spyder2Express. The vine was full of whitish, waxy stuff. The highlight has been suppressed as much as possible without making the image looking unnatural. Anyway, I exposed for the subjects, not the branch, nor the background (if any).

Also, lighting something 43cm away (from sensor, pic #2, info from exif ) is way more challenging than lighting something at 22 cm (about 1:1). Getting good light on MPE is too easy, esp if you go down to 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, 5:1. There's not always time nor opportunity to take the flash off the shoe. Bugs and opportunities don't always wait.

how the hell you managed to spot half of those is beyond me, the camouflage is amazing on those, love seeing your photos kurt

Thanks, Carl. I am really familiar with this forest I frequently visit, day or night. I know where they "live" :D

Last edited:
Back