Late Afternoon Family Portrait Session - Golden Hour?

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone.

Had a lovely family walk around a local park on Easter Sunday, to work off those easter eggs. The sun was in it's early stages of setting and it was producing some really gorgeous light, too good an opportunity to miss a family photo session with. Could probably have done with staying out another good 1/2 hour, to catch some more setting sunlight, but my daughter had had enough and was ready for her bottle and bed.

Taken with my favourite combo Canon 6D with 100 Macro L.

1#

Easter Sunday - 06
by Awesome 4Some Photography, on Flickr

2#

Easter Sunday - 08

3#

Easter Sunday - 15

4#

Easter Sunday - 20

5#

Easter Sunday - 26

6#

Easter Sunday - 45

7#

Easter Sunday - 52

Last edited:
Have you got anymore space on your wall cause a lot of these need to go up... Some great expressions :D

The last few are the pick. Better light and nice honest posing.

The pictures of the Boys on their own get their hands in their pockets or something (hands in thumbs out or vice versa for preference) should instantly make then appear less stuff and more relaxed.

quote=Karen, Love no. 6

Totally agree, the whole set is very good, but the expression of the youngest one, and the fact that he isn't looking at the camera, but "Admiring the day", makes it special. If it were my photograph, no matter how short of wall space I was, I would make room for it.

what super cute munchkins you have, really lovely and fun set.. good work(y)

5, 6 (with a tighter crop) and 7 are my favourites. These are well posed and you have retained detail in the eyes which has been lost in some of the others due to the high contrast.

And... congratulations on getting your children to pose, smile and remain within the same postcode. Job well done.

Last edited:
The light from number 8 onwards looks much nicer IMO. Those last few are really nice.

The light from number 8 onwards looks much nicer IMO. Those last few are really nice.

Agree with this, in fact this set is a good lesson in how important the right light is, timing is everything!

All are fab. John above as a great point though it sure does go to show what a vast differance there is when the light is great ( well that is if you got the eye to see and use it) which you have, well done.

Gaz

Lovely work. Personally I would crop these quite a bit to maximise impact but the shots are all excellent. Fabulous sweatshirt in 5.

Thanks Ian, I have already cropped these from the originals. Personally I like how they are. He sweater is one of my favourites, he's also got it in orange and a grey T-Shirt as well.

The last few are the pick. Better light and nice honest posing.

The pictures of the Boys on their own get their hands in their pockets or something (hands in thumbs out or vice versa for preference) should instantly make then appear less stuff and more relaxed.

I agree with the lighting, if my little girl didn't need food or sleep :D ......I can guarantee we'd have stayed out longer and made the most of the light.

Thanks for the tips on my boys stance, most appreciated.

Love no. 6

Thanks Karen
quote=Karen, Love no. 6

Totally agree, the whole set is very good, but the expression of the youngest one, and the fact that he isn't looking at the camera, but "Admiring the day", makes it special. If it were my photograph, no matter how short of wall space I was, I would make room for it.

Thanks, it used to be my second eldest son that pulled all the faces/expressions. But Elliott my 3rd son is coming into his own and his character is starting to come out.

what super cute munchkins you have, really lovely and fun set.. good work(y)

Thanks T.
Absolutely love #8 and #10. :)

Thanks for the kind words.

5, 6 (with a tighter crop) and 7 are my favourites. These are well posed and you have retained detail in the eyes which has been lost in some of the others due to the high contrast.

And... congratulations on getting your children to pose, smile and remain within the same postcode. Job well done.

Thanks for the comments, as mentioned above, Ive already cropped them down. I get what your saying but I like them as they are. It's a tricky task to get them all together but well worth it :) .

Thanks Gareth, just wished we could have stayed out a bit longer to take full advantage of the lighting at that time. Unfortunately it wasn't possible.

Agree with this, in fact this set is a good lesson in how important the right light is, timing is everything!

Totally agree with you on that point :)

All are fab. John above as a great point though it sure does go to show what a vast differance there is when the light is great ( well that is if you got the eye to see and use it) which you have, well done.

Gaz

Thanks Gary, was my first time out at that time of the evening with the camera to hand whilst out with the Family......guess what?

I'll be doing it again, first chance I get.

Excellent set. Did you do any processing on these?

Only slight contrast and exposure adjustments. Altered WB to try to get skin tones as even as possible.

Thanks.

Back