Latest trip to Iceland

Merc

Loves Canon
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Mark, Fantastic shots it looks like you had better weather this time than when we went in March.

Pick of the bunch for me is no 3, followed by no 5

Great set, looks like a brilliant place to visit ... love 3 with the reflection of the ab but the pick for me is 6 for the simple isolation :)

Thanks all. I've spent quite a bit of time out there over the last year. My wife says I may as well move out there. OK :)

Simon, yes the weather was quite kind but I followed the weather rather than wait for it.

Cheers Andy. Yes, chased the weather so didn't pre book any hotels which is a little bit of a gamble this time of year in the north because a lot of places close in October until March. Had to stay in a hostel for one night and was prepared to rough it in the car if needed but as luck had it, Iceland was unusually mild (for Iceland) and more hotels stayed open.
You won't be able to park on the track along the lagoon at Kirkjufell when you go as we did last time. They have put a barrier up so you have to walk it and stand out in the cold.

Stunning shots all of them. You must be stumbling over fellow toggers at every turn !

Stunning shots all of them. You must be stumbling over fellow toggers at every turn !

I have noticed over the last couple of years that Iceland is getting busier and busier but and the government is really pushing tourism. They want to increase it by 15% every year but I've got to know it very well and have a good idea when and where to go to avoid the crowds. The only place you struggle is Jökulsárlón beach but as most shots are looking straight out to sea, you can make it look deserted and I'm usually there way before sunrise and leave when the masses appear.

Looks great, lovely light. You were lucky with the weather. Threads like this make me kind of want to go (for the landscapes, as good as your aura images are, astro etc simply doesn't tickle my fancy) as the weather, scenery and light have come together to make a stunning set of images. However, my fear of going for say 5 days is just 5 days of grey flat skies and rain.

Looks great, lovely light. You were lucky with the weather. Threads like this make me kind of want to go (for the landscapes, as good as your aura images are, astro etc simply doesn't tickle my fancy) as the weather, scenery and light have come together to make a stunning set of images. However, my fear of going for say 5 days is just 5 days of grey flat skies and rain.

There's plenty to shoot there with cloudy skies. I think the only time you would really struggle to come back with nothing would be if it was gale force winds and raining combined.
This is why I don't pre book hotels and leave my plans very flexible. I don't decide where I'm going until I have picked up the hire car. It's served me well so far.

Last edited:
Very impressive set Merc and very hard to choose an overall favorite,no2 may be the one for me,shall have to keep looking.

"Excellent" set of images Mark, I'm not even going to try to pick a fav. Thanks for showing them.(y)

George.

Gave up trying to choose a favourite although I really liked the the second to last. Absolutely stunning set.

What a fantastic experience for your son..I'll bet no-one in his school class has experienced that, no doubt he's on his way to becoming photographer too.

Can't pick a favourite either! Looking forward to next March's trip with Andy and the rest and maybe even taking a few shots similar to the above. Thanks for the inspiration.

Exceptional work Mark. I usually try and give constructive comments when I post but these are all splendid! I have been back and forth several times and can't even give you a favourite just can't make up my mind, so you will have to forgive me. I was in the Lofoten Islands in Norway earlier in the year and that was excellent too.

Not been to Iceland but it's on the bucket list, I guess early or late in the year are the best times to visit...
Thanks for sharing these stunning shots, really nice work!

Wow, stunning shots!! I went to Iceland in August (I posted some shots up here, summer shots though, 23 hour daylight so no northern lights for me!).

I think its the most fantastic place on the planet, cant wait to go back. Viewing beautiful images like these is making me impatient!

Gave up trying to choose a favourite although I really liked the the second to last. Absolutely stunning set.

What a fantastic experience for your son..I'll bet no-one in his school class has experienced that, no doubt he's on his way to becoming photographer too.

Thank you. Oliver is the youngest ever ambassador for Ricoh Imaging (Pentax) He got some great shots out there.

Can't pick a favourite either! Looking forward to next March's trip with Andy and the rest and maybe even taking a few shots similar to the above. Thanks for the inspiration.

Hope you have a good one. :)

Exceptional work Mark. I usually try and give constructive comments when I post but these are all splendid! I have been back and forth several times and can't even give you a favourite just can't make up my mind, so you will have to forgive me. I was in the Lofoten Islands in Norway earlier in the year and that was excellent too.

Not been to Iceland but it's on the bucket list, I guess early or late in the year are the best times to visit...
Thanks for sharing these stunning shots, really nice work!

Thank you. It depends on what you want from Iceland as to what time of year you go. I think late autumn/early winter is me favourite.

Wow, stunning shots!! I went to Iceland in August (I posted some shots up here, summer shots though, 23 hour daylight so no northern lights for me!).

I think its the most fantastic place on the planet, cant wait to go back. Viewing beautiful images like these is making me impatient!

Thanks Jim. I was there for mid summers day last year and really liked the light from 10pm to 3am but as mentioned I think late autumn/early winter is my favourite time out there. I have been in spring, summer, autumn and winter. I will probably be going back in January though to the north east for some frozen waterfalls.

A stunning set of inspiring images. Iceland is definitely on my must-go-to list and these just confirm it. #2 is my favourite but I'd be pleased as punch to come away with any of them. Thanks for sharing

Mark

A superb set of shots - all of which have the "wow" factor.
I would love to go to Iceland for a photography trip ... one day

Some great pictures, a bit too many to comment. But some stand out. I love the third picture, that's all northern light in frame with some nice reflection is stunning!

Thanks again for the comments.
I am thinking of doing another trip soon if anyone is interested. Just for 4 of us, so space for 3 people. Total cost inclusive of car (4x4), flights, hotels, ice cave tour and spending money would be approximately £1,100-£1,300 each. I do run workshops but this would not be classed as one and I will be paying the same as you. It would be a trip for those wanting to get the most photo's possible whilst out there. So, early mornings, late nights and sometimes almost no sleep if the Aurora is good. Please bear this in mind if interested. Physical fitness is not really necessary as at the moment you can still drive right up to most locations. This will change over the next couple of years. The health and safety morons are beginning to make their presence felt in Iceland. I will also put this in meeting place. Looking to go in late January to late February.

Back