Latest Wedding - Haslington Hall

Name
Tom & Liam
Edit My Images
No
Hey,

Thought we'd post our most recent wedding here. Storyboard has just gone live tonight on our site.

Have a look through the blog, the few images below never really tell the story : Latest Wedding - Haslington Hall - Sam & Steve

Here's a tiny selection from the blog :

lwaNE6t.jpg

Gelh1BL.jpg

Rchdcxy.jpg

bWEtbkj.jpg

lMRoDKx.jpg

HrldQbC.jpg

fdByb4L.jpg

3hxGKw2.jpg

As always, comments welcome :)

Last edited:
for the most- they are over exposed, no detail in the brides Dress 6 & 8 in particular- The brolly has no texture what so ever in No4 , looks wrong

I dropped the exposure in CS5 on No8 and the dress has a lace front, its lost in your shot

sorry they don't work for me

That said, there are some lovey shots on your blog

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
for the most- they are over exposed, no detail in the brides Dress 6 & 8 in particular- The brolly has no texture what so ever in No4 , looks wrong

I dropped the exposure in CS5 on No8 and the dress has a lace front, its lost in your shot

Les, forgive me for asking, but did you happen to notice anything about the content of the pictures?

yes of course I did- still over exposed in my opinion. and as said, there are some lovely images on the blog

Some really lovely shots in the blog post. :) Looks like a great day.

FWIW, I can see the lace on the front of the dress in number 8 here.

I don't usually mind shots where someones head is OOF in the foreground, but, again IMO, it's a bit too much in number 2 here.

That said, there are some lovey shots on your blog

Les

Thanks, a few images never do the blog justice however I'm going have to disagree with you regarding #4 & #8. On my calibrated screen the detail and lace is clearly visible, but I must say that even if it wasn't they would still have been keepers for us. I'd never let a 'technical' issue like that overrule the content of an image, we are capturing natural moments and expressions.

For #4, I'd waited in that position for a good 20 seconds ready to capture that image with the brolly and bridesmaid framed by the hedge and leaves. In an ideal world the driver wouldn't have been in the shot but that's not the nature of our style of photography. If the brolly had been overexposed but the rest of the image looked good, it still would have been a keeper.

#6 - Heres an example of the above, the dress is slightly overexposed on this one and has lost the detail. When its a choice between ditching the shot or keeping it because of the overall content, it's a no brainer in my opinion. (Bride really loves this photo by the way)

I'm in no way offended by your comment by the way, I quite enjoy hearing different peoples opinions, just explaining it from our point of view :)

Some really lovely shots in the blog post. :) Looks like a great day.

FWIW, I can see the lace on the front of the dress in number 8 here.

I don't usually mind shots where someones head is OOF in the foreground, but, again IMO, it's a bit too much in number 2 here.

Thanks, and thanks for looking Gaz :)

I know what you mean but I loved this and think the OOF part of the image enhances the lovely moment that's going on in the mirror between the bride and her mum.

Thought we'd post our most recent wedding here. Storyboard has just gone live tonight on our site.

So, are you happy with that or do you think there's room for improvement - and if so, in what areas?

Always always always room for improvement. This may sound naive but we want to be recognised for our work, maybe win an award in a few years time, get featured in some cool magazines etc etc That may sound unrealistic but its the reason we do this. We certainly don't do it for the money, we have full time jobs too, always seem to be working every weekend (meetings/editing/album design/website etc) but we absolutely love it. If one day we could do this full time, perfect. But I'd never want to go full time by taking on 60+ weddings a year on. We want to take our time, have around 10 per year to keep it manageable for the time being and make improvements everytime.

We are definitely our own worst critics, every time a wedding goes by we try to pick something out to improve on for the next one. This is Wedding number 11 now, when I look back at our first one I see a definite improvement - ( first wedding : http://kandlphotography.co.uk/consall-hall/kirstyandmark2013/ ).

The bride and groom are absolutely over the moon, and their parents too who have all send us lovely messages this morning. The bride said she burst into tears looking at these last night and things like that always make us feel like it's a job well done. So that's goal number one complete. A couple of things happened out of our control during this wedding (driver taking the wrong route) that meant we missed out on the couple shots at a location we were really looking forward to. But these things happen.

Next up is the bits we want to improve, which usually as is the case here, is trying some more adventurous/arty shots. We are finding that every wedding we do, we seem to cover our standard stuff a lot quicker leaving more time to try new things.

Last edited:
Always always always room for improvement. This may sound naive but we want to be recognised for our work, maybe win an award in a few years time, get featured in some cool magazines etc etc That may sound unrealistic but its the reason we do this. We certainly don't do it for the money, we have full time jobs too, always seem to be working every weekend (meetings/editing/album design/website etc) but we absolutely love it. If one day we could do this full time, perfect. But I'd never want to go full time by taking on 60+ weddings a year on. We want to take our time, have around 10 per year to keep it manageable for the time being and make improvements everytime.

We are definitely our own worst critics, every time a wedding goes by we try to pick something out to improve on for the next one. This is Wedding number 11 now, when I look back at our first one I see a definite improvement - ( first wedding : http://kandlphotography.co.uk/consall-hall/kirstyandmark2013/ ).

The bride and groom are absolutely over the moon, and their parents too who have all send us lovely messages this morning. The bride said she burst into tears looking at these last night and things like that always make us feel like it's a job well done. So that's goal number one complete. A couple of things happened out of our control during this wedding (driver taking the wrong route) that meant we missed out on the couple shots at a location we were really looking forward to. But these things happen.

Next up is the bits we want to improve, which usually as is the case here, is trying some more adventurous/arty shots. We are finding that every wedding we do, we seem to cover our standard stuff a lot quicker leaving more time to try new things.

This is exactly how I feel about my wedding photography. Great to read to be honest! Photography first, money second. I know not everyone is in a position where they can look at it like that, but it's a nice position to be in. I just hope by wedding 11, mine look as good as these do.

This may sound naive but we want to be recognised for our work, maybe win an award in a few years time, get featured in some cool magazines etc etc That may sound unrealistic but its the reason we do this.
Not at all naive AFAIC. And certainly not unrealistic.

I'm assuming you picked the eight embedded above for a reason, so for now I'll just comment on those from the perspective of them going on your blog or whatever with a view to enticing more brides to book you ...

#1 Well seen, but too clever for its own good IMO. It's simply too complicated and therefore slow to read, and the main reason is that you were unlucky with the clutter - particularly the plate with the sandwiches and the bold pattern behind the mirror. You may like it, the bride may like it, but I'll wager not many prospective brides will.

#2 I know you like it, but neither of us here would have even tried that one from where you were. I cannot see that shot doing you any favours at all on your blog/site.

#3 It's a bit weak, but for some reason that works better than it's any right to IMO. Punters will like that one.

#4 Sorry, but see above for #2

#5 I haven't checked out your blog post yet, but I'm guessing (hoping) one of you covered that shooting from the church. It's my experience though that photographers like backs shots far more than prospective customers do. As it stands it's well done, but I just keep wondering ... "why?"

#6 Well composed, but are you sure a simple record shot like that's useful in selling you guys to your punters?

#7 I can just see that working as a letterbox crop, but as it is they're too small in the frame for most punters and you were unlucky with those clouds not being where you needed 'em.

#8 Great light and expression, but who is she looking at and why?

Sorry I can't be any more enthusiastic about these particular pictures, but I'm not into blowing smoke up your (or anybody else's) arse for the sake of it ...

Last edited:
Not got much time now but thanks for the comments.

I'll be honest if this was a bride forum I'd be choosing 5-6 different photos than the above.

Chose the above just to show a little snippet of each part of the day, but ones I felt were a little more arty for a photography forum.

When it comes to the album I guess #3 #6 #7 #8 would probably make it.

When it came to Facebook, #3 got a huge positive response, followed by #8 and #7. Thise are the 3 that were used to promote this wedding online.

Chose the above just to show a little snippet of each part of the day, but ones I felt were a little more arty for a photography forum.

Ah. Understood now. Putting wedding snaps up on a photography forum is something I've never done, so my brain wasn't wired to take that into account. (Ours were always critiqued by wedding photographers.)

I'll have a look at the full works later on :)

Last edited:
Back