Le Kart.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
We had a trip over to northern France a couple of weeks ago, to cheer on my nephew who only races karts in Europe nowadays. I emailed the BNL (Benelux karting series) for media access and they kindly agreed as long as I didn't venture onto the pre-grid or parc ferme, due to my involvement with a competitor. The circuit was much larger than any that I have been to in the UK and had a few nice elevation changes, although it was very boggy underfoot. We had a few hefty showers on the Sunday which made for some nice photos.

#1 Nephew at speed.

BNL Ostricourt. (1 of 1)-60
by Paul Babington Photography, on Flickr

#2 35mm pan past the Red Bull arch.

BNL Ostricourt. (1 of 1)-25

#3 Wet one part 1.

BNL Ostricourt. (1 of 1)-55

#4 Who blinks first.

BNL Ostricourt. (1 of 1)-50

#5 Blast past the paddock.

BNL Ostricourt. (1 of 1)-27

#6 Heavy shower while on slicks didn't affect my nephew much.

BNL Ostricourt. (1 of 1)-41

#7 Backing the kart up under braking.

BNL Ostricourt. (1 of 1)-8

#8 Close enough to the action to see what a win meant to him !

BNL Ostricourt. (1 of 1)-62

Last edited:
Lovely work, all good but 1,4 and 6 stand out for me.

Yes I ran for cover just after that ! Thanks for your comments guys .

Great set Paul. Love the low angle in #7 & #3. Fair play to Sean staying on track in the wet on slicks in #6

Thanks Fran, the circuit is great for those low angle shots although there isn't any protection from errant karts, the semi-pro Dutch tog who works with the series, told me that it is better to skip away from them , rather than hide behind tyres !
Sean was on fire all weekend, winning all four of his finals, I'm hoping to be able to go cheer him on at the Euromax finals in France at the beginning of September, not sure if I can arrange accreditation for that though.

Last edited:
Some of the best karting shots I've seen actually... well done!

Congratulations Paul, I see that your nephew won the DD2 class at a rain soaked Rotax Max Challenge Grand Finals in Valencia. I hope that you captured plenty of the action and didn't get to wet.
Irishman Martin Pierce was very unlucky to be disqualified for a seat stay issue after a dominating the DD2Master class with a flag to flag drive. :-(

Congratulations Paul, I see that your nephew won the DD2 class at a rain soaked Rotax Max Challenge Grand Finals in Valencia. I hope that you captured plenty of the action and didn't get to wet.
Irishman Martin Pierce was very unlucky to be disqualified for a seat stay issue after a dominating the DD2Master class with a flag to flag drive. :-(

Hi Fran,
Yes Sean certainly drove well, qualified on pole, led every lap in the heats and the final, fastest lap in that too, it makes up for the disappointment in the Euromax final. I didn't travel down in the end although I am naturally gutted that I didn't , it was certainly wet though wasn't it ! Did you see all the togs there, my brother said that they suffered in the swamp around the circuit's edge on Saturday, I wonder how much equipment was damaged ?
Martin's disqualification was very unlucky for him after such a great drive, all for a damn seat washer missing ! I heard it was the second place guy that spotted it and reported it , which was pretty unsporting of him, I suppose when the World title is at stake people behave like that ?
Sean is holding out for a KZ drive next year, I'll definitley be travelling along to see that if it happens.

Back