Leaf Lines

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
A project I have been working on for a print panel. Leaves were all collected and skeletonized, flattened and then shot against a white bg. Some I have left their natural colour, others I have altered in PS.

Plan is to print on etching paper keeping the white areas transparent so the natural paper colour becomes the bg to keep with an etched feel. Still haven't made a decision on which to include in the final panel.

Thoughts and critique are welcome as always.:)

1.Ivy
leaf7.jpg

2.Holly
leaf12.jpg

3.Maple
leaf10.jpg

4.Chestnut?
leaf6.jpg

5.Magnolia
leaf5v2.jpg

6.Maple
Leaf1.jpg

Beautiful!

I wonder if presenting all the leaves in a similar style (i.e. orientation and the whole leaf) might add impact? But great work!

Beautiful!

I wonder if presenting all the leaves in a similar style (i.e. orientation and the whole leaf) might add impact? But great work!
Thanks Boots, I think you're right.

I will probably leave #3 out and either opt for all natural colours or all coloured in ps to some degree. Probably need some test prints to figure out which.

Thanks Boots, I think you're right.

I will probably leave #3 out and either opt for all natural colours or all coloured in ps to some degree. Probably need some test prints to figure out which.
Sorry Ryan, my earlier comment may have slightly confused you - I think the varied colouring you have done is great. I really meant having them all the same way up, and, yes, dropping #3 (the partial leaf, when all the others are whole, jars a bit).

Last edited:
Sorry Ryan, my earlier comment may have slightly confused you - I think the varied colouring you have done is great. I really meant having them all the same way up, and, yes, dropping #3 (the partial leaf, when all the others are whole, jars a bit).
Yes I see what you mean Paul, Thanks.
I didn't even think of the ivy being the wrong way up/ down as they really reminded me of hearts and felt natural in that orientation. I think for the final panel I would probably not include the double ivy and just stick with one of them probably the one with slightly more bits as they add some interest. The full coloured versions do look better than the natural ones on a test print I did this evening so its looking like I have my set of 5 images give or take a little tweaking of colour shades. :)
Such a great idea and very well executed!
Thanks Adam, most appreciated!

Great idea and well executed. I'll be very interested to see the completed panel when you finalise it please - is this for an RPS distinction or a club competition?

Great idea and well executed. I'll be very interested to see the completed panel when you finalise it please - is this for an RPS distinction or a club competition?
Cheers Lindsay, it is for a club comp coming up next month. Getting a jump on it early this time as I usually just throw a bunch of enduro/ mx shots together for it but thought I would actually do something a bit more bespoke this year.
Need to replace a couple ink cartridges before I do the final run but I will post up the completed set when I do. :)

Right for anyone interested, printing and mounting now complete. Ended up collecting and skeletonizing a few more leaves and playing with some different editing styles but I am quite happy with the end result. @lindsay

Printed on Fotospeed Platinum Etching 285 which has a textured surface for that etched feel

1.Overview(probably will look better on the stands under decent lights than my kitchen floor...)
IMG20231123184727[1].jpg

2.Maple
Maple5x4border1024.jpg

3.Field Maple
FieldMaple5x4border1024.jpg

4.Holly
Holly2x3border900.jpg

5.Ivy
Ivy1x1border900.jpg

6.And finally Oak
Oak2x3border900.jpg

Thanks for sharing the final set. Really nice. I like that you've used a different colour for each one. Well done, I hope you do well in the comp.

Very nice collection of images, and a great paper choice too. That Platinum Etching is excellent value for money for what it is.

I really like the closer POV that you have with "Maple" #3, but looking at the set as a whole, it's well put together. You'd better do well in the comp unless the calibre is really really high!

Really like the thin border close to the mount edge. Is that a shadow of the print stuck on some foamboard, or is it a printed on 1px stroke border?

Thanks for sharing the final set. Really nice. I like that you've used a different colour for each one. Well done, I hope you do well in the comp.
Thanks Lindsay, I'm quite pleased with it and for the first time since joining the club produced a panel the missus wouldn't mind on the wall. She's not a fan of insects or motorbikes(previous years entries) on the wall for some reason...;)
Very nice collection of images, and a great paper choice too. That Platinum Etching is excellent value for money for what it is.

I really like the closer POV that you have with "Maple" #3, but looking at the set as a whole, it's well put together. You'd better do well in the comp unless the calibre is really really high!

Really like the thin border close to the mount edge. Is that a shadow of the print stuck on some foamboard, or is it a printed on 1px stroke border?
Thanks Ian, yeah I really like that paper, for certain style shots it really does come out so much better than my usual go to paper which is Permajet Oyster 271. Both good on a budget when compared to some of the really expensive stuff out there.

I have to say our club has some very talented togs in it so I wouldn't be overly surprised to get trounced by one of our resident semi pro wildlife members, it usually happens that way especially if pictures of hares are involved...

The key line/ stroke border is printed on, I initially was using it for a paper trimming and alignment guide but decided to make it a feature when I got to the mounting stage. I thought it just added a little extra to the finished product so I'm glad it was noticed.:)

I really like this set. I think it was a good idea to settle on whole leaves all in the same orientation

Back