Learning to use a flash meter.

simon ess

Just call me Roxanne.
Edit My Images
No
Just got myself a flash meter and been trying it out with both digital and film cameras.

Selfies I'm afraid as I can't get anyone to pose for me. Oh, well - time to unleash the inner drama queen :)

Nikon D7000
DSC_4755 by simon ess, on Flickr

Bronica SQB with Kodak T-Max 400
img367 by simon ess, on Flickr

There will be revolution by simon ess, on Flickr

Drama queen..... Pass
Lighting excellent haha
Three my fave, pure drama. 2 very good but a slight fail on not hiding the trigger for me
Made me giggle if nothing else. Number three is such a contrast to the others I just never expected it

:D

Thanks Bruce.

I'm a bit annoyed about that trigger. I bought it with the intention of being able to use it with my foot but, no matter how hard I stomp on it, I can't get it to work.

Really odd.

Maybe lose the big comfy slippers and get some boots on haha
Is that a les Paul copy by your side?

I did try it with boots - nothing.

Yeah it's an Epiphone Les Paul. An object of beauty.

Try a place mat or similar under the trigger so it doesn't sink into the carpet maybe?
Just doing this for fun, not criticising. It was a lighting practice and it went very well
Agreed, very nice guitar. I have one and its a bit neglected sadly. The acoustic is just always in front of it

I love these - especially no. 2. And I don't mind the trigger. It's like showing the younger generation how selfies used to be done rather than those face shots where you can tell their arms are stretched out in front of them. If I had to pick it would be to place the wire down the the side of the chair rather than having it stretch out horizontally.

Last edited:
#3 is great, and as pointed out, such a contrast to the other two!

Thanks Barry. It's my favourite too.

Try a place mat or similar under the trigger so it doesn't sink into the carpet maybe?

Done that too - on a granite chopping block. It's as if it needs pressure all round the bulb like a hand squeeze gives. I'll keep trying.

Thanks Ray.

I decided that if I couldn't hide the trigger I'd brazen it out and show it in all its glory.

You make a good point I hadn't considered.

There will always be a million and one interpretations and opinions. Neither one right or wrong except the ones that you want to be right or wrong

Brilliant simon obviously the trigger should not be included but as a learning experience it doesn't really matter.

Can you tell us how you metered (to light or to camera) and was this single light experiments?

Thanks Bryn.

Metered to the light.

2 lights in each case. On 1 and 3 I have a fill light on axis, and I wish I'd had it on axis in 2.

Fill light 2 stops under main light.

if all else fails, use the bulb remote release to trigger one of those clockwork timer releases... gives you time to throw the bulb trigger out of frame...

that one appears to be a pure mechanical timer - i.e. you wind it up, set the time, press the button and rush back into shot... I'm sure I had one "back in the day" that actually had a socket at one end for a cable release (for the remote bulb things, or the bowden cable version) which triggered the actual timer to start...

that one appears to be a pure mechanical timer - i.e. you wind it up, set the time, press the button and rush back into shot... I'm sure I had one "back in the day" that actually had a socket at one end for a cable release (for the remote bulb things, or the bowden cable version) which triggered the actual timer to start...

I still have one there are loads on Ebay.

Thanks very much Terry.

I found one like the second one, in fact I bought it, but haven't seen one like Mark described.

I can't find one either to be honest... and as it was the neck end of 30 years ago, I can't remember for the life of me what make it was :(

Back