Lee or B+W 105mm Polariser Filter

Name
Christopher
Edit My Images
No
I'm at a dilema, I use a 17-40mm lens on my 5D Mk II and I do landscapes at 17mm quite a lot. I want to use a polariser on my lee foundation kit in conjunction with my 0.9 ND filter. Ive decided to get the 105mm adaptor but not sure which polariser to get. Is either one clearly better than the other? I just want to make sure as they both cost a lot. Any help would be much appreciated.

I also want to try and reduce vignetting as much as possible too, does anyone have any experience with this at all? Can I fit the adaptor on to the foundation kit with just one slot on?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Or would it actually be cheaper and make little difference if I got the upgrade kit for the foundation kit and got the square lee circular polariser instead? I would save around £50 I guess. Im confused to what advantages the round polariser would have. Help! :thinking:

You can actually fit the POL. adapter without any slots on the holder.
Thats what I did on a spare holder I have as I already had a B/W 10 stop N/d which I found a pain to have to keep removing to check composition etc.
I would think the main reason to use around Pol filter as opposed to a sq one was the ease of adjustment withou upsetting the position of any other filters you may be using eg N/D grad. Anyway thats why I use a 105mm Pol filter on my 17-40mm lens, no problem with vignetting either as long as you use a 77mm W/A lens ring.
C

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. :)

Sigma do a 105mm CPol which is about £165 IIRC... Might be worth considering. I've been toying with this idea for a while but haven't really felt the need for it just yet. I'll be interested to see which way you decide to do this.

Si

Get the B&W or Heliopan.

The Lee is too thick for wide angle lens on full frame - you can't shoot at 17mm as black frame is very visible until around 20mm.

Thanks guys for your replies, ill let you know which way I go. I think I may be waiting for the B+W or heliopan to come in stock somewhere, they seem to be on back orders everywhere.

I do have the WA adaptor which Im so glad about, so heres to having no vignetting at 17mm hopefully :D

I have made a holder that eliminates vignetting on wideangle lenses. I have the EF 17-40 myself and use a polariser with 3 filters. I am trying to get LEE-filters to be interrested as it would be best to have them make it, both for quality, design and price. If you would like to help me to get LEE interested, please send a mail to Graham Merrit at LEEfilters ( gpmerritt@leefilters.com ) and ask him to contact me about the holder that does not vignett. He has heard from me before. LEE is currently launching th SW150 for wide angle lenses, but that one will not fasilitate the use of a polariser. If you are interrested in a holder that doesen't vignett, send a mail to Graham.

The slimmest 105mm polafilter is probably the Heliopan SH-PMC, 8038-1105 in their catalog, preisliste. It is 6mm thick, not 5 mm as Heliopan says, but still "the slimmest there is". I have not found any other pola that is slimmer. I have one myself and it does not cause any vignetting on my holder.

Back