Legal position re sending batteries through the post

Took a Fuji X-E1 which I've sold to the PO yesterday. They were asking about batteries and I initially said that it did have a battery and it was separate. My story changed to it being a built in battery etc and the lady accepted it. I can't now remember whether I took the battery and put it in the Fuji box separately or whether I left it in the camera! Reading the above I should be fine if you are allowed 1 battery in the camera and 2 spares out of the camera I suppose. It was only going perhaps 4 miles across London! They also wanted £26 for it insured at upto £500 so ended up taking the risk at £100 cover at £13. Every time I go to the PO I get taken aback by some of the prices!

Took a Fuji X-E1 which I've sold to the PO yesterday.

They also wanted £26 for it insured at upto £500 so ended up taking the risk at £100 cover at £13. Every time I go to the PO I get taken aback by some of the prices!

That sounds wrong, I would be very surprised if an X-E1 weighs more than 2kg in it's box, (edit: 1.8kg according to Amazon for the kit with lens) and RMSD up to 2kg is £11 with £500 cover.

In future I suggest you weigh your parcels at home (I bought a kitchen scale that weighs up to 5kg from a charity shop for £2.50, if you don't have a scale, look in your local charity shops) and then work out the postage from the RM price guide so the PO assistant doesn't rip you off with the wrong postage.

http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/RM_OurPrices_Mar2014a.pdf

Last edited:
I thought if you used the original battery packaging they couldn't whinge about carrying it as long as you sent within the limits for however much weight can be of these batteries?

How many of these incidents are actually caused by cack handed couriers smashing people's parcels around anyway?

I thought if you used the original battery packaging they couldn't whinge about carrying it as long as you sent within the limits for however much weight can be of these batteries?

How many of these incidents are actually caused by cack handed couriers smashing people's parcels around anyway?

No, the packaging is immaterial.

Whether it's in original box or your own box, the rule is as follows:

Electronic devices sent with lithium batteries (including mobile phones, digital cameras, etc) where the battery is not connected to the device.
Packaging guidelines:
The maximum number of lithium batteries allowed in each parcel is the minimum number required to power the device plus two spares.

That sounds wrong, I would be very surprised if an X-E1 weighs more than 2kg in it's box, (edit: 1.8kg according to Amazon for the kit with lens) and RMSD up to 2kg is £11 with £500 cover.

Probably my fault as the original box was put in an old kettle box with padding and then another cardboard box on the outside (a bit overkill!) but probably took me just over the 2kg mark. I should have checked really - I normally do as you say and use kitchen scales.

Back