Leicester Clock Tower Experiment

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
A bit of an experiment this one. I took 10 shots all purposely slightly out of alignment at varying times to blend together to try and capture some of the hustle and bustle by the clock tower.

Clock Tower Experiment by Pam & Ben, on Flickr

Dunno if it works or not, what do you think?

I reckon if you kept the buildings in focus, but had this effect going on with just the people it could work really well.

At the moment it just looks really OOF and blurry im affraid :(

Hurts my eyes!

As Jamie says the buildings need to be in focus. Not a bad idea though, so maybe use one frame for the buildings, then blend the other frames with a layer mask revealing just the people. Or maybe a revisit and take a few long exposures to blur people to varying degrees and blend that in

Thanks for the feedback! I did want to get some "movement" in the buildings though, but perhaps I've overdone it.

I'll have a play again with what I've got but it looks like I need to refine this more until I get the look I'm after.

To be honest this one is a massive improvement, but when I look at the building it just doesn't seem right to be blurred.

Looks like I'm watching 3D without the glasses, but I MUCH prefer the new one over the original

Thanks again. My intent was to create something edgy and slightly unsettling so the edit is too "safe" compared to what I was aiming for. I'll keep having a go to refine what I'm trying to achieve.

was anyone else thinking about back to the future when they read the title :D

I prefer the second one although the buildings are still too blurry.

I've spent 5 mns staring at the first pic expecting some kind of weird 3D shape / message to pop out..... sorry just doesnt work....

A bit of an experiment this one. I took 10 shots all purposely slightly out of alignment at varying times to blend together to try and capture some of the hustle and bustle by the clock tower.

Clock Tower Experiment by Pam & Ben, on Flickr

Dunno if it works or not, what do you think?

I like it, inspired by Idris Khan?

It certainly has the look of the work he produced from the Bechers' typologies. Which makes me wonder if it might look better in black and white, emphasising the repetition without the colours distracting.

I do wonder if the scene is a little cluttered for this effect though, Kahn's take on this was cleaner and with a more definite focus.

Not consciously, as I'd not heard of the name before, but on looking him up that's certainly something like what I was looking for.

Thanks for the pointer to his work, interesting stuff!

I really like the original idea, makes you have to think about the picture to work out what's going on.

Pep Ventosa's look like they have a canvas texture on them as well which works well.

I really like it, the first one. Just because it plays with your eyes a bit, doesn't mean it's 'wrong'. You seem to have got what you were going for, that's all that matters. Although if I'm going to be picky I'd maybe get rid of a couple of layers in the first one (y)

Back