Lens and camera help

Edit My Images
Yes
Ok at the moment i have a d5200 and im aware that it doesnt have a auto focus motor
so does that mean i need to buy a lens with af-s ? or will just af be ok.

also ive been offered a d300 and was wandering if they are any good.
ive been offered it at a very reasonable price so thought it maybe a good idea to have a back up camera

cheers

mat

d300 one of the best dx cameras nikon ever made you wont regret buying it

Yeah you need afs. The d300 is better than the d5200 in every way other than the sensor.

Pick up a D300 and you might find it becomes your prime body. I only have one lens that requires the focus motor and the updated version of this now has a focus motor so I wouldn't get too hung up on a body with a focus motor unless there is a specific lens you have/want that requires it.

Cheers for the replies
i did think it was a decent camera as ive been looking at reviews on the net about it.

he's not selling until xmas as he is getting a d800 then so i will buy it from him

cheers again

Right... it maybe a 'pro body' but its old now. unless you want high fps or that heavy body im affraid your opinion is nothing more than just that

Snapsort.com/compare/nikon-d7100-vs-nikon_d300

well if snap sort says the D7100 is better then that is that! It wasn't me that said it was one of the best DX camera's made, but thanks for 'your opinion is nothing more than that' comment, nice.

In terms of IQ the D300 isn't a patch on the D7100, in terms of usability, how it is to hold and spend time shooting with I'd have the d300 every time. IQ isn't the be-all and end-all for some and some types of shooting.

Last edited:
well if snap sort says the D7100 is better then that is that! It wasn't me that said it was one of the best DX camera's made, but thanks for 'your opinion is nothing more than that' comment, nice.

In terms of IQ the D300 isn't a patch on the D7100, in terms of usability, how it is to hold and spend time shooting with I'd have the d300 every time. IQ isn't the be-all and end-all for some and some types of shooting.

Im sorry if your took offence to that comment but clearly you share the same opinion as the person who states its the best. I just dont think you should compare 2 camera on opinion without some back up.

The d300 is nice to hold but the advantage is the buffer over the d7100. And yes iq isnt the be all and end all but maybe 24mp, rbgw screen, updated af system, video, 2sd slots, built in level, and better iso will benefit

whatever, I'm not disagreeing which is the better camera overall, just pointing out why some people still rate the D300 as a great dx camera despite its age (myself included). Just for the record I've owned and shot thousands of images with both cameras, so any advice or opinion I have comes from first hand experience.

Trying to pull back to topic d300 v d5200.
Unless it's really cheap or you need a 2nd body I wouldn't go for the d300.
Save your pennies for more glass or other equipment that suits your photography style.
In the future decide on an upgrade route which, staying Nikon, would be D7100 or D750/800 (yes, I ignored the d610)

buy the d300 trust me .only an ameteur would dismiss its capabilities or someone new to photography

The D5200 has the same sensor and AF as the D7000. I owned both the D7000 and the D300 at one point. I would choose the D300 over the D7000/7100/5200 except for a few specific instances. The D300 has plenty of resolution for most uses, and it's AF was faster/more accurate. It get's to be what I consider noisy above ISO800 in low light; the D7000 did too but it has a resolution advantage that can be used to reduce it ~ a stop.

But, don't expect any quantum gains/improvements from the D300 unless you're shooting demanding subjects/action... If you're not shooting those kinds of things I would say the D300 is a "sideways move" and not really money well spent. You're giving up resolution/ISO for build quality/controls. I do have to say though, the lack of the second wheel on the D5200 is a pretty big downside of that camera IMO.

Remember guys he has the D5200 so it isn't so much a choice between the 2 as in is it worth the gap. The D300 is a superior body BUT there are better bodies now. I have a D5100 & D7100 which I think is a big enough step to take but if I had the D5200,D5300 I would not of upgraded to the D7100. I would have invested in better glass or started saving for a good FF. If you had no camera the D300 would be the way forward.

Remember guys he has the D5200 so it isn't so much a choice between the 2 as in is it worth the gap. The D300 is a superior body BUT there are better bodies now. I have a D5100 & D7100 which I think is a big enough step to take but if I had the D5200,D5300 I would not of upgraded to the D7100. I would have invested in better glass or started saving for a good FF. If you had no camera the D300 would be the way forward.

the OP says he's looking for a backup camera and his question was are they any good.

Back