Lens Choice for D810 Panos

Edit My Images
No
I'm investing in a D810 and some Really Right Stuff gear in September/October with a view to focus on panoramic style landscapes.

I'm still looking at the wide choices of lens available and could do with some assistance in deciding what to get. I think I will focus on primes and maybe the 16-35 lens is not suitable for what I require.

Some lens considerations:
1) Not really interested in autofocus as 99% will be used for landscapes, so I'm happy to manual focus.
2) Will be used for multi row panoramics. Eg, Scotland, Lake District and so on.
3) I'm interested in 35MM and 50MM for time being. I don't think I will require 85mm or shorter than 35MM as I do not want distortions.
4) Must be sharp and great rendering.
5) Will be shooting mainly around f11 to f16. so Having lens at F1.4 not essential.

If you want a lens purely for Landscape togging the Carl Zeiss T* 21mm f/2.8 ZF.2 is the best option out there and a wide angle prime, if you want something a little for flexible go for the Nikon 16-35mm or 24-70mm

Reactions: ST4
... the Carl Zeiss T* 21mm f/2.8 ZF.2 is the best option out there and a wide angle prime, if you want something a little for flexible go for the Nikon 16-35mm or 24-70mm
21mm Zeiss ;) not that I'm biased
Come on guys, read the question before you answer:
I think I will focus on primes... maybe the 16-35 lens is not suitable... I don't think I will require shorter than 35MM as I do not want distortions.
The new Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art is reckoned to be exceptionally sharp. I don't know how it compares with the various 50mm lenses though.

Last edited:
For what it's worth... I'm not impressed with the Zeiss 21mm. I had one on loan for a week. It's a lovely thing.... just don't see where the money goes. The short end of my Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 is actually sharper. Independent lens tests seem to agree with me too.

I'm not really that obsessive, but it does seem to be a great deal of money for something that doesn't really work any better than cheaper, and more flexible alternatives.

Nikkor 14-24

Zeiss 21

Dx0 of both

Seeing as the price isn't a great deal different, I'd opt for the Nikkor 14-24. A great lens for landscape and a useful lens for many other things too. Optically it's fab. The only thing is the difficulty in fitting filters. Any filter holders you may have will not fit, which may be a major issue.. or not.

It may also be irrelevant, as you don't mention whether you use Canon or Nikon, so feel free to ignore that.

The Sigma 35mm Art lens would be high on my list too.

Is the samyang 35 f1.4 a decent cheap alternative?

It's great for the price, yes, and is actually every bit as good as the Zeiss. We have many Samyang lenses at work. I use them all the time and the 24 and 14 are utterly stunning. If AF is not needed, look SERIOUSLY at the Samyang 24mm. It may be a bit shorter than you wanted, but it's a fabulous lens.

DxO with Samyang added

Many Zeiss lenses are just resting on their laurels earned a long time ago rather than actually being better than the competition.

I have to add my usual caveat though: If you're not going to print big... don't worry about it.

The best for for your needs however, is clearly the Sigma 35mm Art. The 35mm Distagon is superb, but my money goes on the Samyang 35mm f1.4. Not in the same league as the Art lens, but cheap as chips, and equally as good as the 35mm Distagon.

Dx0 of 35s

Last edited:
It may also be irrelevant, as you don't mention whether you use Canon or Nikon, so feel free to ignore that.

D810 mentioned in the first line.

I've had good results doing this with the 35mm 1.8 (FX), also did a few with the 24-120 f4 which needed some extra work sorting out the vignetting/distortion but the results were excellent. I think having a shorter and longer lens would be useful as some stitched panos work better on a longer focal length depending on your perspective/distance from the scene. I think one focal length would be too limiting.

I've considered the 24-70 and it's just within my price range via HDEW and I already have 77MM filters should I choose to use them. I use to have a 24-70 for my Canon and I loved the focal length, but I was just concerned that a prime could be more sharper and offer better rendering than the 24-70.

I've considered the 24-70 and it's just within my price range via HDEW and I already have 77MM filters should I choose to use them. I use to have a 24-70 for my Canon and I loved the focal length, but I was just concerned that a prime could be more sharper and offer better rendering than the 24-70.
This is going to be a bit ironic, given that you've switched from Canon to Nikon, but what the heck. The Canon 24-70 Mk II is astonishingly good - better than most primes. (And much better than the Nikon 24-70, which is good but not astonishingly good.)

1st choice Carl Zeiss T* 21mm f/2.8 ZF.2
2nd choice Nikon AFS 14-24mm f2.8
3rd lens choice Nikon AFS 24-70mm f2.8
I had the two Nikon zooms but sold both as weight started to become a issue for me after a accident.
But my mate is now shooting with them on a D810 results are more than impressive !
I put the Zeiss first as you stated AF wasn't a priority for you but I don't think you will be disappointed with either of the Nikons and they both have a constant f2.8 aperture though I would imagine you will be using them stopped down.

And don't rule out the Nikon AFS 17-35mm f 2.8 or The Nikon AFS 16-35mm f4 VR.

Last edited:
I have to agree here. The 24-70, while good, is nothing to write home about. The 14-24 however, is stellar. Bit wide for his needs though. If it's primes he's after, and no AF needed, the Samyang 35 needs some careful consideration.

1st choice Carl Zeiss T* 21mm f/2.8 ZF.2

Too wide for him I think... and totally outclassed by cheaper alternatives these days.

Last edited:
Have a look at this guys work and you might even think of switching to Canon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Diliff

Bloody superb if you get to the high res files
Broken URL, at least on my phone. The forum software seems to think that the colon followed by a capital D in the middle of the URL should be interpreted as a smiley face.

If anybody else has this problem, you can dig out the link (to a Wikipedia contributor) by starting to quote Gary's post, at which point the proper URL is exposed. It's well worth doing - there's some really excellent work there.

Last edited:
That wasy point. Diliff has been producing high res images for years without a d800. His best were with the 5dmkii and a 24/104. They are the very best I've seen anywhere though. Detail is amazing

sigma dp3 plus a few batteries and a L plate, maybe evf or eyecup
a tilt shift lens might be good too?

I am thinking long-term with lens choice

Macro: Nikon 105 (not for panos)
Telephoto: 70-200 2.8
Primes: 50MM, 35MM & Nikon 85mm 1.8

I just need to decide 50MM and 35MM options then get one focal length and see if I need other. I have no need for 1.4, so I think it would be worthless to pay the extra for that. Looking at Zeiss options too, but the Otus range are out of my price range. I would like weather sealing, so Sigma are not an option at all.

Back