Lens for shooting dog agility events

Name
Will
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm getting more and more into event photography, mainly dog agility events, Crufts, etc. Currently I have my Nikon D7000 with a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC. Both have been great lenses but now I'm finding them too slow and I miss a lot of potentially great shots. I am finding in particular, black dogs are very difficult to capture in focus and quite often, the lens doesn't focus on it any where near quick enough. I make 1 out of 6 shots I would say, the rest are not up to scratch.

I am looking at upgrading both lenses to one decent lens for now and a second later this year.

What would people recommend?

I have been looking at the Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 or the Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6, or doing the prime lens route, the Nikon 85mm f/1.4 (I have a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 already).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Will

For longer action shots I find a prime isnt great for these type of events as the dogs are all over the place... as they can be indoors the cropping options needed with primes is reduced.. I would reccomend a 70-200 2.8 for the long end... sorry no idea for short end..

Thanks for the reply.

I have been looking at the 70-200mm but that was on my save up a little longer list!

I can't see what the 16-85mm would bring to the table if your Tamron f2.8 is too slow. I have no experience with the Nikon 17-55mm when I had my D7000, so for me I would look to rent the Nikon 17-55mm before buying. For the outlay is it going to be much better than the Tamron 17-50mm.??

Could you possibly look at the older or used 70/80 -200mm f2.8 lenses and buy secondhand??

Edit: Just looked at MPB and they have the 70-200 f2.8 from £659.00, could you sell your 70-300mm and put towards this ?

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us...-lenses/nikon-af-s-70-200mm-f-2.8g-if-ed-vr-4

Last edited:
A stop slower, but the nikon 70-200 f4 VR is a sharper quick lens for thus type of indoor/outdoor event. Half the weight of its f2.8 more expensive brother too. And it'll take a TC. Seen them go on here for £700 ish.

Thanks, I have just put some quote requests in for the lens you both recommended, shall see what they come back with.

I would suggest, based on my experience, that you should go for the 70-200 f2.8. Try secondhand to get the price down. You will not be happy with second best and you will end up getting one anyway!

You're right there! MPB only have the £800 lenses in stock so may have to hang on for pay day for one of those. I'll see what they offer me for my current lenses too.

Has anyone any experience with the 17-55mm?

I doubt the nikon one is miles better, keep what u are 1755 and go for the 70200, remmber sigma and tamron options are good too

My Tamron is the early model that doesn't have auto focus. I'm wondering if that is why it's a tad slow? Maybe the body's auto focus motor is slower than a built-in lens auto focus?

Last edited:
I tried a number of 18/18-50/55 lenses when I had my D7000 including the Tamron, under most circumstances there was very little to choose between them, but when you got into poorer light or poorer contrast the Nikon never missed a beat, the Tamron and Siggy hunted or just missed focus. In terms of IQ I'd be hard pressed to tell any difference, but the AF speed and accuracy of the Nikon was the clincher for me.

you cant beat the nikon lens's over third party you will be blown away how fast the 70-200 2.8 can focus best of luck with it

Back