Lens recommendation please

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I am off soon to Vegas and have planned a trip to the Grand Canyon. I am wondering what your lens recommendations would be. I was thinking of the Canon 10-22. I have a canon 40d. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated(y)
Thank you.

Neil

That is a trip I would love to make. Either the Canon 10-22mm or the Sigma 10-20mm would get some awesome shots of both Vegas and the Grand Canyon.

Canon 10-22mm sounds just perfect (y) I have one on my 40D, and I have also been to the Grand Canyon, but unfortunately the two did not coincide.

A polarising filter will work really well there - dramatic blue skies behind those amazing orange rocks :)

Hmm can't comment on is it worth it - I have the 10-22 and don't regret it. Never used the siggy.

I recently got back from a trip to Arizona - here's a few with my 10-22.

Thank you for the link Freester. Those pics are fantastic. I think I might hire the Canon for the 2 weeks and see how I get on. If I can get anywhere near the quality of your pics I will me more than happy.

Thanks
Neil

Thank you for the link Freester. Those pics are fantastic. I think I might hire the Canon for the 2 weeks and see how I get on. If I can get anywhere near the quality of your pics I will me more than happy.

Thanks
Neil

Thanks for the compliment. I never regretted getting my 10-22 but it took me a while to get into it and get results I liked. I can't explain why. Most likely it was a darn sight wider than anything I'd used before and I struggled to get images with correct composition. All my images in my Flickr stream are tagged with the lens so you can search my stream for all of my 10-22 images if you are interested.

Renting is a good idea if you aren't sure!

I've been investigating a wide angle lens for my 40d as the longest I have currently is 35mm.

The Sigma is shaper than the Canon under certain circumstances (wide open and at the short end of the zoom) but has vignetting problems at all focal lengths. It's also a darn sight cheaper. The Canon is probably the better all-rounder though if you can shell out the extra dollar.

Renting is probably a good idea, especially if you can't see yourself using it much when you get back as it's a large (£600 ish) investment!

George.

^ I disagree with the above.

I tried the Sigma and found it no where near as sharp as the Canon. Dont get me wrong, the Sigma is an excellent lens, but its simply overall across the range, not as sharp as the Canon.

The Canon is pin sharp whatever focal length you're using. Also with the Sigma, it appears you can still get bad copies but not heard this with the Canon.

Interesting reads (though not too in depth);

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-wide-zooms/comparison.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/1022.htm

Its why I got one! Also quite interesting is this quote

"In a recent meeting with Canon, it was brought to my attention that the 10-22 EF-S actually uses all L-series glass. Canon does not want to give the L moniker to any lens that isn’t full-frame, so the 10-22 is labelled an EF series lens, but optically, Canon considers it L-quality. The “L” classification does not automatically mean “perfect, flawless lens,” but most the superior L-series glass does go a long way to explaining the quality of this excellent lens. " Not sure if that is fact or not...

BTW - loving those Arizona shot Freester! Did you use a CPL?

I've now used both and I have to say the Canon gives better IQ overall, but thats simply because it uses better glass. Some Sigmas are better than other Sigmas which doesnt help!

The general consensus (web and magazine wise) is that the Canon is the better lens, but you always have to way it up against the price. Is the extra worth it? In my opinion it was, as I wanted the best UWA I could get, and if I bought the Sigma I know I'd still be hankering after the Canon.

I'm currently battling this debate again in relation to buying a Canon 70-200L, against a Sigma 300EX!

Back