Lens Twisting on monopod

Name
Adey
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I have a 300mm prime lens which I try to use with a monopod. What I find though is the lens twists and loosens on the release plate because of the lens weight. Looking at the tripod collar, it is flat with just the screw hole.

Apart from screwing it up incredibly tight with a screwdriver, are you supposed to use a screwdriver? how do you stop it from twisting?

I tighten mine as hard as I can with a coin or the screwdriver in my penknife :)

My monopod has a metal release plate with a piece of rubber attached. The rubber acts as a spring washer and compresses slightly, but also provides a lot of friction.

An older monopod had a screw slot and I just used a coin to turn it.

Why not just screw it direct onto the monopod?

The rubber on the QR plates I use (Manfrotto RC2) seems to stop this happening even though I only tighten them using the turnbuckle/butterfly handle that comes on the plate, so maybe a piece of old inner tube from a bicycle tyre could be pressed into action? Failing that, a drop of thread lock should do the job - pop into a friendly local garage with the foot and QR plate and ask nicely for a drop.
Be a little careful about overtightening - the lens foot is probably a lot softer than the mounting screw so there is a risk of stripping the thread (if that does happen, a decent engineering works should be able to helicoil it as a permanent repair) or even breaking the casting.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Back