(More Pics Added) L'Eroica Brittania (The most handsome bike race in the world)

badlywornroy

I am not macho
Name
Roy
Edit My Images
No
Came to the UK for the 1st time at Bakewell (Peak District) over the weekend 20-22 june 2014. http://www.eroicabritannia.co.uk/

Originating in Tuscany (Italy) and running for many years this is a bike 'race' for vintage bikes (pre 1987) I say 'race' but in truth it is more a spectacle, an exhibition of beautiful vintage cycles and riders dressed in 'costumes of the day'

There were 3 routes, 100 miles, 50 miles and 30 miles all through the Peak district both starting and ending in Bakewell.

Anyone who has cycled (or attempted to cycle ?) here knows how tough it is, the hills are very steep and apart from the designated trails (ex railway lines) Monsal, Tissington & High Peak etc there is very little flat cycling.

Apparently approx 2000 riders of all shapes & sizes took part and to complete even 30 miles on a relatively heavy steel bike with in some cases very few gears must be extremely tough. Yes I saw plenty walking up the worst hills

but there were many extremely fit serious bike riders competing.

I just happened to be on holiday in the Peak District and got lucky when I 'stumbled over' this event.

Well, I have set the scene, better show some pictures.

No 'exotic' camera equipment with me, most shots are taken with the Sony RX10 bridge camera and some with the Sony nex 6

Tremendous crowds so I attempted to find some 'space' in the countryside on my own.

Click to see the pictures larger.

1. The start Line

No mass starts the riders rolled up over about 3 hours to start one of the 3 courses.

DSC01340_L%27eroica_10-X2.jpg

DSC03658_L%27eroica19-X2.jpg

DSC03662_L%27eroic21-X2.jpg

4. Old timers waiting to start

DSC03666_L%27eroica23-X2.jpg

5. On a bicycle made for two

DSC01682_L%27eroica_1-X2.jpg

6. Downhill Racer

DSC01724_L%27eroica_8-X2.jpg

7. Bianchi Man

DSC01450_L%27eroica_6-X2.jpg

I have many more so if you would like to see more let me know and I will add to this thread.

Roy

Last edited:
Great photos, I've never heard of this event before but looks wonderful.yes would love to see more from the day Roy.

Many thanks Liz for your kind words.

I know the other 65 members who viewed really want to see more but gee ! I guess that are too shy to say so, :) so here are more shots from this event.

8. Focussed

DSC01357_L%27eroica_9-XL.jpg

9. The Lady in Red

DSC01737_L%27eroica_3-XL.jpg

10. Gentlemen, start your watches.

DSC01354_L%27eroica13-XL.jpg

11. Holdsworth

DSC01373_L%27eroica_29-XL.jpg

12. Spare tubes.

DSC01487_L%27eroica_32-XL.jpg

13. Holdsworth rider

DSC01455_L%27eroica_31-XL.jpg

14. Looking good.

DSC01690_L%27eroica_2-XL.jpg

Wait ! there's more next time.

Last edited:
Great, thanks for posting something totally out of the ordinary and utterly engaging :)

Great, thanks for posting something totally out of the ordinary and utterly engaging :)

What a wonderful thing to say about my pictures. Thank you so much gramps.

Roy

Ok, I can tell you are all enthralled ;) so here are some more.

15. Easy Rider.

DSC01738_L%27eroica_5_fc-XL.jpg

16. Touring bike ?

DSC01792_L%27eroica11-X2.jpg

17. Italian Style

DSC03583_L%27eroica15-XL.jpg

18. English Style.

DSC03580_L%27eroica14-XL.jpg

19. Surely not ?

DSC03653_L%27eroica18-XL.jpg

20. Viking Power.

DSC01508_L%27eroica_35-XL.jpg

21. Flower Power.

DSC03691_L%27eroica25-XL.jpg

Roy

What an interesting set of images. It looks a great event, and I rdeally liked the Holdsworth Ford Cortina "team car", with the distinctive bright orange bikes on the roof. When I started racing, the top of the range Holdsworth was out of reach for me.

Thanks for the feedback Guys 'n' Gals, your not rid of me yet :eek: here are some more.

22. Flying the flag.

DSC01704_L%27eroica_10-XL.jpg

23. At the tuck shop.

DSC03640_L%27eroica17-XL.jpg

24. On the starting grid.

DSC03628_L%27eroica16-XL.jpg

25. Posing

DSC03664_L%27eroica22-XL.jpg

26. Brazilian Team member.

DSC03697_L%27eroica26-XL.jpg

27. Colourful lady.

DSC01494_L%27eroica_33-XL.jpg

28. Veteran.

DSC01500_L%27eroica_34-XL.jpg

i misread the title and thought it was "le erotica" damn, expecting jugglies on a bike and nudies.

I wasn't disappointed though - very nice set of images Roy and I looked at them all and liked them all (y)

As far as crit goes and this is the point of the thread, no? Would be the parts of the wheels/tyres chopped off. Love them otherwise! I really do!

On another note: (bit of humour for you as I feel in a bit of a wicked mood, so please dont take offence and these aren't crits of your pics
number 14: looks like the sparkly vampire off twilight, you should have punched him off the bike ;)
number 4: looks like she's detaching the seat from her bottom :banana:

Thumbs up from me bud (y)(y)

Thanks again guys,

Carlh said " number 14: looks like the sparkly vampire off twilight, you should have punched him off the bike ;) "

You should have told me earlier Carl. . . much earlier, I would have done 'the deed' for you. Sadly never having seen any of the 'Twilight Saga' (I think that's what your referring to ? I didn't make the connection.

Take offence ? nah ! you have just become my favourite poster :kiss:

By the way L'eroica apparently means 'The Hero(s) so I'm told.

Roy

Last edited:
Thanks again guys,

Carlh said " number 14: looks like the sparkly vampire off twilight, you should have punched him off the bike ;) "

You should have told me earlier Carl. . . much earlier, I would have done 'the deed' for you. Sadly never having seen any of the 'Twilight Saga' (I think that's what your referring to ? I didn't make the connection.

Take offence ? nah ! you have just become my favourite poster :kiss:

By the way L'eroica apparently means 'The Hero(s) so I'm told.

Roy
Aye, stay away from those films. You'll hate bella, the nasty girl playing two monsters against each other . Unfortunately, my wife is a fan so I have to watch what she watches, but I have introduced her to some good zombie movies (y)

Lovely pics, they have a real clarity and capture the day well

Some truly great shots there

As the (still) owner of an 1980's Benotto and a natty wool Ti Raleigh Long Sleeve jersey maybe I should give it a polish and get it out there :)

Love the Holdsworth Team car. Incidentally PlanetX are relaunching the Holdsworth brand in the original team colours

Do they stop for afternoon tea like they do for the tweed run?

I think my 1970s Hercules Balmoral would fit in nicely there.

Steve.

Last edited:
Do they stop for afternoon tea like they do for the tweed run?

Actually there are feeding stations around the courses where most riders stop, chat and mix with the public. As I said at the beginning it is much more a 'social event' than a bike race.

Last edited by a moderator:
1,000 views, that's great, makes it worth while posting all those pics. Thanks everyone.

Roy

They get my vote too. Really enjoyed these.

Gaz

Excellent set and explanation, really enjoyed.

This event was on the main BBC news recently, and please tell #23 that she's facing the wrong way!
Great to see these photos, shame I haven't got any from my time racing in my earlier years, but back then
only the official photographer could take images & I being a teenager didn't have any spare money.
And my mother wasn't interested, :arghh:

Really enjoyed looking at these, great set, thanks for sharing :)

I remember lots of those bikes. Nor sure the Blackspire chainring is in the spirit of the event, but we'll let him off.
I've just registered on the website so I'll be sent lots of info about next year's ride - or so they claim.
We should organise a meet!!!

Great set of photo's, brings back many memories as a ex semi pro. to old now to even think of getting on a bike,

Well this is truly the 'thread' that keeps on giving :clap: Many thanks everyone.

The 2015 L'eroica is from 19th- 21st Jun.

Your can read more here http://www.eroicabritannia.co.uk/

Great event for cyclists, photographers and spectators.

Great set of photo's, brings back many memories as a ex semi pro. to old now to even think of getting on a bike,

Don't give up Peter, I'm 68 next week and ride most days, weather permitting up to 100 miles a week.

Roy

I really fancy a crack at that ride, though I'd REALLY like to have a go at the "proper" Eroica... problem is building a "rules compliant" bike for the Italian one... being a bit of an obsessive it's got to be period correct Campag Record and I keep getting beaten in the fleabay auctions on certain key components. Plus - I'm not 100% sure I fancy those strade bianche on sprints and tubs - especially pre 1987 ones.

I used to race on tubs at 150 psi. Great up and down the A1 but not so good on country lanes. They might be authentic but I think that pressures would be more suitable for this ride. Put some new tubes in and carry a couple of spares in the pockets on the front of your Campag woollen jersey!

don't have any period correct rims in 700c for pressures, and the clearances on the old Raleigh are such that anything more than a 700c/23 is going to be rubbing the fork crown and seat-tube.

Maybe if I can drop on some new-old-stock Open 4 CD's, and cheat with modern tyres...

Last edited:
Well this is truly the 'thread' that keeps on giving :clap: Many thanks everyone.

The 2015 L'eroica is from 19th- 21st Jun.

Your can read more here http://www.eroicabritannia.co.uk/

Great event for cyclists, photographers and spectators.

Don't give up Peter, I'm 68 next week and ride most days, weather permitting up to 100 miles a week.

Roy
I don't think I could cope with the traffic on today's roads at 81 years old.

Back