Lesson Learned

Name
Gary Cantwell
Edit My Images
No
I recently acquired a second hand Canon 500mm f4 L IS lens. I was desperate to try it out in the field to photograph Kingfishers in my local spot. The distance between the perch and where I placed the camera (sturdy tripod with Gimbal head) was 6 meters. I composed the shot, tightened all the knobs on gimbal. I had to use a wired remote control, as the Kingfisher would see me otherwise. I took a test shot, everything was ok. Hidden out of view I could see the perch. Waited about an hour and then this lovely female Kingfisher landed on the perch. It stayed for a couple of seconds. With my R7 on electronic shutter, I knew there would be at least 30 shots. Imagine my horror when I looked at the screen to see this composition. The tripod had sunk into the ground, what an idiot I felt.
This is uncropped with basic PP

Operator error by Gary Cantwell, on Flickr

A good reason to revisit!
It returned 15 minutes after adjusting the tripod. Because I set it at f4 and it was not facing the camera the beak is out of focus.
I have returned 3 times with only fly by's or sitting on other perches. Will keep on tryingKingfisher female 1.jpg

I think you can connect your phone to the R7 using the Canon App and see what's going on that way.

Page 670 of the user manual

D

Last edited:
That's still much better than anything I have attempted when photographing birds, It's a tough discipline for sure - respect to anyone that gets great avian images. I'm sure next time you go out with the 500 f/4L you'll absolutely nail them as you envisage.

I think you can connect your phone to the R7 using the Canon App and see what's going on that way.

Page 670 of the user manual

D
After the first day using a wired remote, I got the Canon app and have been using that.

The setup is bang on and I really like the BG, I have no doubt with another attempt or 2 you'll get a wall hanger.

Does the app allow you to remotely select a focus point? That would be brilliant for this shot is it did

Mike
Thanks for your comments. I am not sure if the app(only got it 4 days ago) can remotely select focus point.

The joys of wildlife. ;)

I have to say, I'm slightly jealous that you only had to wait an hour.............. and for such a cracking specimen in such lovely light. Kudos. :clap:

I'm now off to see Part 2. (y)

The joys of wildlife. ;)

I have to say, I'm slightly jealous that you only had to wait an hour.............. and for such a cracking specimen in such lovely light. Kudos. :clap:

I'm now off to see Part 2. (y)
Thank you

Back