Light Spirographs

Ian D J

Michael Fish
Name
Ian D J
Edit My Images
Yes
Exactly as it says on the tin. :D

Thought I'd try and revive my experimental photography mojo and did some spirograph-type light painting last night. It involved a small LED light (dismantled from a cheap 99p torch) dangling from the ceiling on a length of cotton string. The D3100 was then set at bulb mode with exposure timings controlled manually by a wired shutter remote.

All four photos saw to no processing and no colour layers, apart from a crop to square off the image and a quick sharpen up after resizing the images for internet show.

It has been a while since I dropped off what I thought are interesting photos worthy of showing in here, so, here goes . . . :naughty:

Photo 1 and 2: Using just the plain light white mode on the LED light.

Twin Shells:

LightSpirograph1.jpg

Electronic Cyclone:

LightSpirograph2.jpg

Then I turned the LED light into the pink blinking mode . . .

The Black Hole:

LightSpirograph4.jpg

Digital Galaxy:

LightSpirograph3.jpg

How did you control the LEDs movement? Where was the camera positioned?

These are great!

How did you control the LEDs movement? Where was the camera positioned?

These are great!

:D Glad you like those. The camera was attached to a tripod and was set facing directly upwards towards the ceiling (spent ages trying to align the camera to the light and the pin on the ceiling behind).
I then turn the room light off, turn LED light on and . . . just it swing around under it's own momentum.

(PS: Don't stare at the light while in the darkened room because it's very hypnotic! I did that while lying on the floor with the camera and I thought I was going to go into some kind of trance!).

And cheers Michaal and CPi. (y)

Last edited:
really good Ian, love the way they've come out.

I don't think I've ever taken a photo of something astrological... astronomical maybe ;) but I hardly think I'm a master :D

I don't think I've ever taken a photo of something astrological... astronomical maybe ;) but I hardly think I'm a master :D

:D That's the one, what with your awesome moon shoots. I always get the two mixed up - unless you really are good at fortune telling! :LOL: ;)

These are really super, something for me to aim to replicate as I'm getting into playing with long expoosures and light!

:D That's the one, what with your awesome moon shoots. I always get the two mixed up - unless you really are good at fortune telling! :LOL: ;)

Sadly not... or I could afford all that lovely kit I want :LOL:

Love the first one, I've never managed to get more than circular patterns even with a counter weight.

Glad this has the effect of making others want to have a go at it. (y) :)

Actually, indeed I attached a bit of plasticine to the small LED torch as a counter weight and as it was suspended about a meter down from the ceiling via a cotton thread, I did find myself wondering why it does elliptical-type orbits sometimes and merely circular type motions other times. :shrug: :D

Last edited:
I keep telling myself that I'm going to give this a go every time that I see some done and this is no exception :D I think that you've done a good job on these overall but I find the broken trails ones to be a bit wrong, I guess that those are just not to my taste :bonk:

Matt
MWHCVT

I tried this tonight but I take it your room was pitch dark?

Even at 13 secs you could clearly see light in mine.

I'll try again later with different exposure settings etc.

I tried this tonight but I take it your room was pitch dark?

Even at 13 secs you could clearly see light in mine.

I'll try again later with different exposure settings etc.

Indeed it is, all lights out at 11 pm and have thick velvet curtains. Also kept the ISO at 100 and the F numbers in the low teens, that will help to keep unwanted ambient light from "leaking in".

Actually, while I am here, I have just had another go at it, but this time attached a LED rear bike light as well as the purple Poundland torch one.

Colour+spirograph+1.jpg

This photo was done in one take with only a crop, a very slight adjustment to contrast levels and a sharpen after resizing for Internet use. :)

Excellent and inspirational work. Must have a go at this effect. Thanks

Back