Light Trails/Orbs - 1st attempt

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Inspired by photos on TP, and as it was warm and still last night, I decided to go up to one of my favourite spots to have a go at some long(ish) exposure shots and try some light trail and orb type things.

These are some of the ones I'm most happy with, C+C greatfully recieved (because I loved doing it and I want to get better!!!). From my perspective, I think I need to work on getting better looking orbs (i.e. neater). There are a couple more on Flickr if you want a look, but I didn't like to put too many in the thread

For info; these are straight from the camera, no PP apart from a resize

Stiperstones Light Trail by JamesHuwDodd, on Flickr

Stiperstones Orb by JamesHuwDodd, on Flickr

Stiperstones Light Trail and Orb by JamesHuwDodd, on Flickr

Stiperstones Orb by JamesHuwDodd, on Flickr

These look brill, what equipment did you use for the Orb? I want to try doing stuff like this!

Great location. I think when you get the fairy light you will see a massive differance.

Number 1 and 3 for me, they would also look very good with some star trails

i was told if using a torch to do a orb if you get a clear 35mm film container and fix that on the end of the torch the light is not a blown out.

Last edited:
good first try, and super location, as darren has said use the fairy lights, you will see a major improvement

Thanks for the feedback; it truely is a great location, and really beauttiful in the daytime (see pic below). Although when it's past midnight and the pheasants are calling to each other and you're 2 miles away from the car, it can get a little bit creepy! I'm looking forward to getting the fairy lights now to give it another go, might have to rope in a friend to go with me next time though!

Number 1 and 3 for me, they would also look very good with some star trails

With regards to the star trails, would you just leave the shutter open for longer with say a smaller ISO/aperture, or would you take repeated shots and stack them in starstack or the such?

Stiper Stones by JamesHuwDodd, on Flickr

Thanks for the feedback; it truely is a great location, and really beauttiful in the daytime (see pic below). Although when it's past midnight and the pheasants are calling to each other and you're 2 miles away from the car, it can get a little bit creepy! I'm looking forward to getting the fairy lights now to give it another go, might have to rope in a friend to go with me next time though!

With regards to the star trails, would you just leave the shutter open for longer with say a smaller ISO/aperture, or would you take repeated shots and stack them in starstack or the such?

Stiper Stones by JamesHuwDodd, on Flickr

check this link out as a guide.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=355313

Back