Critique Light Trails

Imho the first one is better, the skies are brighter and you have a bit more light than the second one.
What really improved the first from the second is the road, you can see a straight line on it which really improves the composition.
Good job Wayne! keep the good work!

Matt.

I prefer the second one, but it's all subjective :)

I prefer it's colours in the sky, find it a more interesting composition and like the fact that there are trails on both slip roads as well as the main carriageway

Out of the 2 I prefer the second image, now you mastered it try a junction or a distant roundabout.

I'm another plumping for the second. You've still got the leading diagonal drawing your eyes up the image and you also have the added interest of the cars joining and leaving the road.

From a composition PoV I prefer the second as has already been mentioned the addition of the slip roads but also the overall composition further to the left of the road makes for more appealing viewpoint, however from a technical standpoint the first is the better example...are you using a tigger/cable release as both as showing slight camera shake with the first showing it to be from when the exposure was started...though in the second it does look like the camera might have suffered a slight knock mid exposure..

I've spotted a few light dust spots so you may want to consider giving your sensor a clean soon (y)

When I mentioned about the execution being better on the first over the second what I was referring to is the fact that in the second the highlights of the headlights have been over recovered, they have the signature appearance of the bright parts looking a little flat/dull showing that they have been recovered when there is nothing to recover, better just to leave it blown IMO

Overall you've not done too bad but there is room for improvement, one big positive is that you've got out when there is still reasonable colour in the sky, but try to get out when there isn't almost complete cloud has this will improve the overall look..

As an example this is one I shot a while ago where it was only partial cloud and it made for a really great effect

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt/6813863540/in/set-72157631860588921

Matt

From a composition PoV I prefer the second as has already been mentioned the addition of the slip roads but also the overall composition further to the left of the road makes for more appealing viewpoint, however from a technical standpoint the first is the better example...are you using a tigger/cable release as both as showing slight camera shake with the first showing it to be from when the exposure was started...though in the second it does look like the camera might have suffered a slight knock mid exposure..

I've spotted a few light dust spots so you may want to consider giving your sensor a clean soon (y)

When I mentioned about the execution being better on the first over the second what I was referring to is the fact that in the second the highlights of the headlights have been over recovered, they have the signature appearance of the bright parts looking a little flat/dull showing that they have been recovered when there is nothing to recover, better just to leave it blown IMO

Overall you've not done too bad but there is room for improvement, one big positive is that you've got out when there is still reasonable colour in the sky, but try to get out when there isn't almost complete cloud has this will improve the overall look..

As an example this is one I shot a while ago where it was only partial cloud and it made for a really great effect

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt/6813863540/in/set-72157631860588921

Matt

hi matt

Thanks for your input,

on the trip out i was using my wireless trigger but i was standing on the pavement with my back to a main busy road so the shake might have been from that.

O!! ill give all my lens a good clean to try take the dust away, im not touching the sensor tho ill have to find a shop near myself to have it cleaned.

yeah weather wasnt my friend open here in scotland that week this was the only day i managed to get out

stunning shot!!!

Back