Lightning Twilight run

Name
Harry
Edit My Images
Yes
Nice set of a lovely aircraft. No7 is my favourite, love the feel it has.

The quirky angle of 1 is my favourite. Cannot believe these where still in service when I was in the mob :D
Gotta love Brunty !!! Lovely post , thanks for sharing. What was your setup for the shoot ?

Tony

Great work Harry, does it get very busy for these events, I went in May for the cold war jets day and it was packed?

Great photos Harry!

Bernie

Thanks Bernie!

The quirky angle of 1 is my favourite. Cannot believe these where still in service when I was in the mob :D
Gotta love Brunty !!! Lovely post , thanks for sharing. What was your setup for the shoot ?

Tony

Cheers, they are fantastic aircraft and I yearn to see one fly. Sadly I appear to have been born into a world of faceless and boring military jets (rafale aside!) haha.

Setup was a 1ds2 and a 50D with a 500mm F4L, 70-200 F4L and 24-70 F/2.8L. Swapped cameras round on the lenses during the run, best check the exif on Flickr if you want to see what took what!

Great work Harry, does it get very busy for these events, I went in May for the cold war jets day and it was packed?

Cheers. Apparently 400 people turned up but I wondered over to the run area early to get a spot on the fence (well right in the corner) so I couldn't get a gauge of it really. Certainly a lot of families though which is good to see!

Here's a few more, @Techy111 you may like 9?

9)
Lightning Twilight Run by Harry Measures, on Flickr

10)
EE Lightning by Harry Measures, on Flickr

Harry

Cracking set :clap: and the last burner shot is spot on :) #9 is also a boat floater.
Will post some of my efforts up later,unfortunately failed on the run and burner shots......must try harder next time.

Clive.

No 3 for me. It shows the size and power of the aircraft.
It's just one of those aircraft, like the SR-71, that oozes function and power.
I remember the first time I saw one at Leuchars when I was a lad, roaring down the runway and then going vertical and disappearing...

Love these, especially the dramatic high contrast look.

Last edited:
Cracking set :clap: and the last burner shot is spot on :) #9 is also a boat floater.
Will post some of my efforts up later,unfortunately failed on the run and burner shots......must try harder next time.

Clive.

Thanks. It is a tricky thing to master... I put my 'success' down to where I was stood!

No 3 for me. It shows the size and power of the aircraft.
It's just one of those aircraft, like the SR-71, that oozes function and power.
I remember the first time I saw one at Leuchars when I was a lad, roaring down the runway and then going vertical and disappearing...

I would love to see an SR-71 fly. If I could go back in time that's one thing I would see! On the subject of the SR71:

Love these, especially the dramatic high contrast look.

Thank you :)

9 AND 10 are real crackers mate !!!! :clap: you stood at the right place. I was lucky to be in the RAF in the 80's and the cold war jets are my favourite especially the Bucc.

And I was lucky to see an SR71 fly in the flesh at Greenham Common :naughty:

Superb......I'd love to be able to print number 9 out and frame it....:plus1: Thanks for sharing Harry.

Tony

9 AND 10 are real crackers mate !!!! :clap: you stood at the right place. I was lucky to be in the RAF in the 80's and the cold war jets are my favourite especially the Bucc.

And I was lucky to see an SR71 fly in the flesh at Greenham Common :naughty:

Superb......I'd love to be able to print number 9 out and frame it....:plus1: Thanks for sharing Harry.

Tony

Can sling it on Photobox if you want? And stop bragging!

Can sling it on Photobox if you want? And stop bragging!

Bragging ? Moi ? :cool: I'm a cold war hero I am....:p If you would mate ? I would love to print and frame it....Colour and B&W please :ty:

Tony

Decorated? Haha.

OK, I just need to shuffle it a little and then will put them on. That or I can just send you a dropbox link to some full res shots if you drop a tenner into the LPG paypal account?

I have one up on you then Harry, I've saw the SR-71 a few times. Apart from being very noisy, I wasn't impressed.
English Electric's fastest, and indeed best product was much more of a sight to behold. Nothing like watching RAF Germany's Battle Flight scramble to get the blood coursing through your veins. Although you then had to think, if they're not back in 30 minutes, where's the nearest pre dug trench/grave?

Some brilliant shots in this thread, the Lightning really is a beast.

Thanks, yes it is awe inspiring. Had to take my ear plugs out for it's run.

I have one up on you then Harry, I've saw the SR-71 a few times. Apart from being very noisy, I wasn't impressed.
English Electric's fastest, and indeed best product was much more of a sight to behold. Nothing like watching RAF Germany's Battle Flight scramble to get the blood coursing through your veins. Although you then had to think, if they're not back in 30 minutes, where's the nearest pre dug trench/grave?

You'll have seen a lot of stuff I haven't - or if I have I won't remember it. Supposedly I've seen a B1-B... But I really want to see one haha.

Scary things really, still one of the best things to come out of the UK aerospace industry.

#6 is my pick of the bunch. Not sure about the angle in #1 though - looks like you fell over. Only 'cos I'm jealous.

The 'one' I was referring to was a Lightning (never seen an SR-71). My dad took me up to Leuchars to get a close look at one.
He worked for Ferranti at the time and was a senior electronics engineer working on the radar and electronics countermeasures pods, so he used his contacts to get access for us.
It was a rather good day

Nice set Harry!
Was very lucky to be at Edwards afb 1999 to hear the blackbird goin thru the sound barrier 3 times!!! ;)

The 'one' I was referring to was a Lightning (never seen an SR-71). My dad took me up to Leuchars to get a close look at one.
He worked for Ferranti at the time and was a senior electronics engineer working on the radar and electronics countermeasures pods, so he used his contacts to get access for us.
It was a rather good day

You jammy so and so!

Nice set Harry!
Was very lucky to be at Edwards afb 1999 to hear the blackbird goin thru the sound barrier 3 times!!! ;)

Cheers. I would have been 4 then!

Yes, same story just the video is of the pilot telling the story!

Harry.

Back