Lightroom & iPad question !

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

Can someone help me out please ?!

I've stared using Lightroom 5 recently - I like to view my photos on my iPad mini retina but I have an issue !

I've just uploaded my latest set of photos but the iPad is showing the pre-developed photos so not the latest ones that I have painstakingly processed !

Any ideas ?

thanks

You will have to make sure that only your latest ones are on your iPad.

thats what I'm trying to do !

I've synced a folder onto my iPad but it is not showing my recent adjustments :(

From your first post, I took it that you thought your iPad had magically decided old was best.

I was attempting to point out that if you only have the updated ones uploaded AND the old ones deleted, you won't have the problem!

Given all that, I take it you have different file names for your masterpieces?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm not sure I've explained it very well ?!

I've synced my photos onto my iPad but the photos on the iPad are not my post developed images....

So for instance I've changed a few into black and white but they are still showing as colour...

Yes, I do understand but not sure what the answer is.

I use an app to put photos on mine.

link lightroom 5 to a flickr account and drag and drop straight to it from lightroom hth mike "other web based apps are available":)

no i haven't exported them - didn't realise I had too ! I didn't with Aperture or iTunes....

justin the photos in lightroom are just copies until you export them so the adjustments only exist in lightroom to view you have to send them somewhere else "flickr,photobucket etc to save them on the web hth mike or save them to a new folder on your computer and then transfer them to your ipad :) also aperture and itunes are apple apps so no conflict

Last edited:
Justin @dinorock is correct you have to choose the pics you want to keep, choose export and select the options for the export and also the folder where they will be exported too. I find exporting to a different folder than the original works best. You could also as previously stated setup your Flickr account in lightroom and just drag and drop to Flickr. Try not to move the originals around on the harddrive as lightroom will lose track of them. I created a folder on my harddrive called 'lightroom originals' and when i bring in images from my cameras i create a folder inside the 'lightroom original' folder and drop the images there. all you then have to do is synch lightroom each time you create a new folder and your pics will be ready to import and edit. Probably not the best way but works for me : )

ah I se - well that makes sense !

So if I would have to send all my photos to flickr and view them on the flickr website ?

You need to export or publish them to a folder on your computer and then link your ipad to that folder in itunes. Any time you make an adjustment in lightroom then re-export them or publish the changes.

If you have signed up to the subscribed version of lightroom rather than the stand alone one then you can load lighroom for ipad/iphone. Once you have set up the collections on your desktop version then they will automatically be available on the ipad/iphone without you needing to do anything like exporting or publishing.

Dropbox is a great option too. Or just export to your photostream if using Mac

I'm not sure I've explained it very well ?!

I've synced my photos onto my iPad but the photos on the iPad are not my post developed images....

So for instance I've changed a few into black and white but they are still showing as colour...

This is how it works for me so im not sure whats happening.
I beleive you are getting bad information above.
Whatever you do in LR on your computer should be updated straight away on your ipad, and the other way around. Im sitting here proving this to myself. I am making wild adjustments on raw files on my PC and can see these adjustments showing up on my ipad within seconds.

I cant help with why you arent seeing the same but it has absolutely nothing to do with publishing or exporting, unless im missing something in the answers above.

One thing you could try is clicking on the small sync icon that appears on synced images in LR. It should give you a warning that Meta data has changed and offer to save it. If you do this it should force an update on the mobile device.

Last edited:
I guess you are using a PC Dave, which makes it very easy to synch with the icloud via the icloud control panel a simple folder.

Its a bit harder for us Mac users!

@dave_bass5

How is your ipad connected to your pc/mac and where do you store your pictures?

Ipad and PC are connected on my home network. iPad Wifi and PC cable.

My images are stored on my PC.

The Mobile version is using smart previews so any changes at the mobile end is alos reflected on my PC.

Sync your Lightroom photos to iOS with iCloud Photo Stream
16 Jun 2013
Photo Stream is a neat iOS feature. Every photo you take with your phone just appears on your computer.

You can also use it to get photos from an actual camera onto your devices - it’s handy for flicking through pictures on an iPhone, and photos look really awesome on an iPad with a retina display. If you use iPhoto to manage your photos, this all happens automatically - but what about if you use Lightroom? Here’s how I do it.

Windows
You’ll need to install the iCloud Control Panel. Once you do, you’ll have a ‘Photo Stream’ folder in My Photos, and anything that gets dropped in there is uploaded.

All you need to do in Lightroom is create an export preset that exports your photos as JPGs to this folder, and they’ll show up on your other devices. Simple!

OS X
Not quite so simple.

As with Windows, we want an export preset in Lightroom that exports JPGs to a folder - this time though, we don’t care where it puts then.

Lightroom lets you run a program after the export, in the “Post-Processing” step. To get our pictures into Photo Stream, I use an Automator script. Open Automator, and enter the following steps:This script will import your photos into iPhoto, where they’ll be uploaded to your Photo Stream and appear on your devices. The Photo Stream agent uploads even while iPhoto is closed, so there’s no need to keep it open.

I guess you are using a PC Dave, which makes it very easy to synch with the icloud via the icloud control panel a simple folder.

Its a bit harder for us Mac users!

You guessed right. Im not aware of any issues with Mac (as i dont have one) so apologies if the above workarounds are correct.

Windows
You’ll need to install the iCloud Control Panel. Once you do, you’ll have a ‘Photo Stream’ folder in My Photos, and anything that gets dropped in there is uploaded.

All you need to do in Lightroom is create an export preset that exports your photos as JPGs to this folder, and they’ll show up on your other devices. Simple!

This is now confusing me. LR is not using the icloud (at least, not Apples), it uses the Adobe's Creative cloud for syncing.

I understand the posts explaining about using Photostream but are you saying this has to be done just to get both versions of LR to sync together?

No Dave

I believe Justin just wanted to view his collections on his ipad, not do any editing. sorry if has got confusing. I understand your setup now, forget the Apples and Pears : )

plugged in with the lightning connector - in Pictures

If your original files are raw files, and you are viewing these files on your ipad then all you are seeing is the embedded thumbnails that the camera generates as its previews i believe.

ah I se - well that makes sense !

So if I would have to send all my photos to flickr and view them on the flickr website ?
not ALL your photos preferably just the good ones you"ve edited and are happy with its more a sharing site than anything else see my link to flickr only about 3-400 photos on there i have 38,000 :naughty:

Justin @dinorock is correct you have to choose the pics you want to keep, choose export and select the options for the export and also the folder where they will be exported too. I find exporting to a different folder than the original works best. You could also as previously stated setup your Flickr account in lightroom and just drag and drop to Flickr. Try not to move the originals around on the harddrive as lightroom will lose track of them. I created a folder on my harddrive called 'lightroom originals' and when i bring in images from my cameras i create a folder inside the 'lightroom original' folder and drop the images there. all you then have to do is synch lightroom each time you create a new folder and your pics will be ready to import and edit. Probably not the best way but works for me : )
agree 100% never put edits in with the originals or you get 2 copies of each shot in the same folder "very confusing" make a new folder for your edits and rename to help find them later, e.g. brands hatch edits. hth mike

agree 100% never put edits in with the originals or you get 2 copies of each shot in the same folder "very confusing" make a new folder for your edits and rename to help find them later, e.g. brands hatch edits. hth mike

Absolutely. I have all my raw files stored on my PC and export the JPGs to a Google Drive folder. These then show up on my iPad and iPhone using the relevant apps.

When exporting you can set LR to automatically give the new files a suffix or number etc.

All my photos are in three places,on my mac,backed up on an external hd, and in the cloud ( I lost a lot of photos a few yrs ago after a hard drive failure) so keep it all copied now.

Backup backup backup You can't get complacent when it comes to your hard earned images. Mac backs up via time machine automatically to my NAS which in turn backs up to my other Nas.

I also manually backup stuff periodically.

i've just tested the export to icloud from lightroom procedure as above and it works a treat. Iphoto will show that it's working but will not open on the desktop. Instant upload to all Apple devices, nice : )

Back