Lightroom question

Name
Sandrine
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
Complete beginner to photography and also new in my local camera club.
I was reading through the program for my local camera club up to December and in 2 weeks time, they're planning a Lightroom tutorial. They ask members to come along with their laptops with the Lightroom software installed on it.
I don't have Lightroom and to be quite honest, I didn't know what it was until today. I researched it and realised that this software is not a free one. Far from it.
Now I'm confused (I'm not very technologically minded) but it seems that, to use Lightroom, not only you have to buy the software but also need to pay a monthly subscription to Creative Cloud.
Am I understanding that right? Or is there a way to use Lightroom without using the Creative Cloud?
I'm wondering if I wouldn't be just better off with Photoshop Elements.
Any advice or opinion on Lightroom would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Sandrine

Last edited:
Sandrine, you right, you are a little confused :D

You get buy lightroom, with a perpetual licence, i.e. you buy / download a version and can continue to use that.
The other option, is the creative cloud photography bundle, which is £8.78 per month, which gives you the latest lightroom and photoshop. There are also extras, i.e. mobile lightroom, behance, etc. This version also means that you get the latest updates as soon as they are available.

Lightroom is a fantastic programme, in my opinion, for photo editing but also for photo cataloging.

Check out Adobe's site, where you will be able to get further information and also able to download a 30 day trial of the software.

www.adobe.com

Another thing, which can be confusing, is that the creative cloud option is not linked to an internet connection, i.e. you install the software on your computer, just like any other version, with no need to be continually connected to the internet to use.

You can download a 30 day free trial. This will give you a couple of weeks to play with it and it will still be active for the tutorial.

Edit: beaten to it!!

Last edited:
Check out Adobe's site, where you will be able to get further information and also able to download a 30 day trial of the software.
/QUOTE]

That's what I've done but it's directing me onto their cloud membership, which I don't want. I'll keep looking into it I think.

ok, so i've downloaded the creative cloud and now it's downloading Lightroom. I guess it's not asking me to pay. So it looks like I'm getting this on the free trial. I'll take this from there on and see how it goes. Thank you everyone. :) x

ok, so i've downloaded the creative cloud and now it's downloading Lightroom. I guess it's not asking me to pay. So it looks like I'm getting this on the free trial. I'll take this from there on and see how it goes. Thank you everyone. :) x

Happy days. Any questions, just come back and ask, lot of knowledgeable folk on TP. Even I know a wee bit :)

Sandrine, make sure you take the time to watch some of the videos on th eAdobe TV site, they'll help you get to know Lightroom.

A good starting point would probably be Getting Started with Lightroom 5.

Lightroom is not a pixel level editor like Elements or Photoshop. It can allow you to make many changes to your images outside of that scope however, as well as help you with your cataloguing, rating and sharing of images. I use it for about 95% of my digital workflow, probably more. I'll dip into Photoshop for occasional uses.

For about £110 a year for the CC (Lightroom+PS) or about £100 for a standalone Lightroom 5, it's an expense that in my mind is one of the best value for money in the entire hobby.

Julianne Kost videos will have you up and running in no time. As said take your time to learn all that it does :)

Why not go to the club and ask to sit with someone who has a laptop and lightroom then see if its for you ?

Well I've got it on a free trial now. I needed something anyway as I add some photos I wanted to tweak a little and had nothing in terms of software. I seem to be learning as I go along, but today I'm going to check out those tutorials. ;)

Back