B&W Lion Portrait

Fine shot Alison and a must for clicking on to enlarge it. It isn't in any way a criticism, but if I could change one thing about it I would seek to highlight the eyes a bit more to see if I could make them just a touch more prominent? Don't know how you converted to b&w, but if you have a choice of colour filters like Lightroom then it might be worth a play to see if the idea works.

I like that, with the face and some mane filling the frame, makes a good photo. I'd love to see the colour version though? :)
Thanks for the feedback, glad you like it. I'll get a colour version uploaded. I've been slacking a bit - edited it on the go on on my laptop and still haven't transferred the photos to my PC =x

Fine shot Alison and a must for clicking on to enlarge it. It isn't in any way a criticism, but if I could change one thing about it I would seek to highlight the eyes a bit more to see if I could make them just a touch more prominent? Don't know how you converted to b&w, but if you have a choice of colour filters like Lightroom then it might be worth a play to see if the idea works.

Yeah, I agree about the eyes. I was editing it in Capture One. The eyes looked okay on my laptop but the screen isn't calibrated, but now I'm at home using a calibrated monitor they do need some lightening a bit.

Here is the colour version, it might have a bit of a cast on it as I edited it with my laptop monitor which isn't calibrated.

15672221587_39b5be2c44_b.jpg

This one definitely works better for me and the eyes are more prominent.

Wow. Just wow.

Really good what a great expression
the colour version is my favourite

Thanks all.

The colour version is growing on me a bit, but I'm still not 100% on it.

Fixed the eyes in the mono version:

DSC_9795%20(11)%20.jpg

Fantastic shot, they say to make sure you get eye contact and it certainly has that, I'm not usually a fan of black and white but I'm split 50/50 on which I prefer. The b/w seems to have a more aggressive feel to it. Massive (y) from me

There is a bit of a Magenta cast on the colour version,
The second mono, is better IMO, over the first though :)

There is a bit of a Magenta cast on the colour version,
The second mono, is better IMO, over the first though :)

Arghhh, the joys of a non-calibrated and non-ips laptop screen :eek:There was originally a green cast, guess I'll try fix the magenta one as well but as I cannot see it on this screen, its probably best to leave it till I'm home.

Yeah the second mono where I fixed the eyes to make them stand out more is much better. I still feel something missing in both the colour and mono though, something not quite right :(

I still feel something missing in both the colour and mono though, something not quite right :(
Personally, I'd not have cropped them like that,
I feel there is too much "beard" (Lower mane) and not enough "ears"

Personally, I'd not have cropped them like that,
I feel there is too much "beard" (Lower mane) and not enough "ears"

The crop is how it came out of the camera, but yeah I wanted more above his face. He was roaring constantly for about 15 minutes with his side to us, facing a wall and I was lucky he stopped for a second and looked at me. I'd of stood there longer in the hope he looked at me again if I was on my own but the joys inpatient family :meh: :indifferent:

The crop is how it came out of the camera, but yeah I wanted more above his face. He was roaring constantly for about 15 minutes with his side to us, facing a wall and I was lucky he stopped for a second and looked at me. I'd of stood there longer in the hope he looked at me again if I was on my own but the joys inpatient family :meh: :indifferent:
Never work with kids and animals, I believe is
how the saying goes? :D

Nice image, #3 with the adjusted eyes works really well

I know that feeling, they just don't understand :)

Back