Little Jenny Wren - Why?

Name
Trev
Edit My Images
Yes
Britains second smallest bird, and a treat to see, the Wren.
Why its called the Jenny Wren I dont know, does anyone else have any ideas? :shrug:

1)
5150542411_19c8e906f1_b.jpg

2) Nearly a bird in flight shot.
5151153192_0040cbd0b8_b.jpg

3) Not a great shot but I liked it and thought it worth showing.
5151153412_2e9f433060_b.jpg

Thanks for looking
C & C Welcome

Last edited:
I agree the last shot is not brilliant (in terms of focus on bird) but agree it is a lovely shot of the wren outside of a thicket which is where I usually see them :p

I love the other two shots for the clarity and general lightness, I rely on this forum to let me see these birds at my leisure, thanks (y)

Last edited:
nice to see your shoots. good colour and well framed but I think the focus is a bit back of the bird the branch and reeds looks more in focus in the first two photos. Not sure what happened in last one very soft.
as for the name there is a character of the same name in Charles Dickens' novel Our Mutual Friend, it might have just caught on from that..
Nice photos

Last edited:
I agree the last shot is not brilliant (in terms of focus on bird) but agree it is a lovely shot of the wren outside of a thicket which is where I usually see them :p

I love the other two shots for the clarity and general lightness, I rely on this forum to let me see these birds at my leisure, thanks (y)
Thank you Tina (y) Pleased you enjoy them
Great shot a fave bird but cant help on the jenny
Cheers James (y)
nice to see your shoots. good colour and well framed but I think the focus is a bit back of the bird the branch and reeds looks more in focus in the first two photos. Not sure what happened in last one very soft.
as for the name there is a character of the same name in Charles Dickens' novel Our Mutual Friend, it might have just caught on from that..
Nice photos
Thanks Chaz. I have looked close at the originals and its most likely my fault regarding the focussing, I am just off the eye which would account for it. All these are fairly big crops, the last one especially.
Here's another one thats slightly better but still a massive crop so not a good shot. I am only adding this for reference.
5151504578_5cf2277e55_b.jpg

Thanks again for yout comments.

Good efforts Trev,but like you say yourself big crops and the third one does look out of focus,the last one you have added is the best one i think,
regards,
john.

Thank you Tina (y) Pleased you enjoy them

Cheers James (y)

Thanks Chaz. I have looked close at the originals and its most likely my fault regarding the focussing, I am just off the eye which would account for it. All these are fairly big crops, the last one especially.
Here's another one thats slightly better but still a massive crop so not a good shot. I am only adding this for reference.
5151504578_5cf2277e55_b.jpg

Thanks again for yout comments.

Yes this is much better how are you focusing? the 7D has one of the best focusing systems are you using the best settings for the task? there are many different ways of using the focusing on the 7D ...

Yes this is much better how are you focusing? the 7D has one of the best focusing systems are you using the best settings for the task? there are many different ways of using the focusing on the 7D ...
Cheers Chaz. For these I was using expanded AF point, with spot metering, AI servo, semi slow servotracking sensitivity, High speed continuous and back button focussing.
Looking at the original RAW in DPP I can see the AF point is just off the eye in the first images which is down to me really. I was using a 500mm f/4 hand held with IS enabled, part of the time hand held and with a bean bag at other times, I think the wren shots were all hand held. Hope this makes sense and thanks for commenting.

Last edited:
A good set of a difficult bird to capture Trev (y)

Good efforts Trev,but like you say yourself big crops and the third one does look out of focus,the last one you have added is the best one i think,
regards,
john.
Thanks John, there was a focus issue that I think I have worked out the reason now (y)
Female wrens are called a Jenny Wrens

comes from nursery rhyme, boys were called wren, girls jenny wrens
Thank you Dave, I've been Googling it to find out, there doesnt seem a definitive answer but thats a good lead to follow up, cheers (y)
Tricky little devils,nice captures ,no1 for me.thank you
Cheeers John, they can be quick (y)
Nice work Trev well taken.
Thanks Don (y)
A good set of a difficult bird to capture Trev (y)
Thank you Rich (y)
Dont know if you saw my reply why its called a jenny wren Trev
Yes, cheers Dave, I have been a bit slow answering, thanks for your comments and reply (y)

Last edited:
Well caught mate a very nice set i must admit to having a fondness for Jenny Wrens i even had one in the workshop the other day (y)

Regards

Richard

think the term jenny wren is to do with nursery rhymes
It was a sacred bird to the Druids, who considered it "supreme among all the birds", and used its musical notes for divination. The shape-shifting Fairy Queen took the form of a Wren, known as "Jenny Wren" in nursery rhymes. A Wren's feather was thought to be a charm against disaster or drowning.

regards ian

Britains second smallest bird, and a treat to see, the Wren.
Why its called the Jenny Wren I dont know, does anyone else have any ideas? :shrug:

Nice photos!

It's the 3rd smallest - Firecrest and Goldcrest are both smaller :)

Well caught mate a very nice set i must admit to having a fondness for Jenny Wrens i even had one in the workshop the other day (y)

Regards

Richard
They seem to have so much character Rich. Thanks (y)
think the term jenny wren is to do with nursery rhymes
It was a sacred bird to the Druids, who considered it "supreme among all the birds", and used its musical notes for divination. The shape-shifting Fairy Queen took the form of a Wren, known as "Jenny Wren" in nursery rhymes. A Wren's feather was thought to be a charm against disaster or drowning.

regards ian
Cheers Ian, thats useful and ties in with another post, thanks (y)
Nice photos!

It's the 3rd smallest - Firecrest and Goldcrest are both smaller :)
Thank you, I stand corected (y)

Well,,, if i was a male wren,,, 'Jenny' might offend. They are so British tho',,, i remember when they were on our coinage. The farthing had 'Jenny' on the back. Number 1 is a great wren pic. :clap:

No.1 is a lovely shot Trev (y)
I must say I would be interested in what Chaz has to say re focusing with the 7D as I get lots of soft shots with mine which I know must be down to me
mainly but it is nice to be sure.
John

Back