Critique Liverpool modern and ancient

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Another one from the Liverpool trip.

Seemed to me that this building dominated the view near the docks but would be difficult to photo because it is so black and potentially boring. So I thought some kind of contrast with the more traditional buildings nearby would be the way to go.

6163-1406469964-19809447fb4fd432e216e7f0976637a0.jpg

Last edited:
Thats one weird looking building chris, looks like its going to fall over! I'd be scared to work in there lol. Architects these days - Im not sure if they do it on purpose or they just hire kids to do them! lol

I think if you got into a position where you could show them both a bit more clearly, the traditional seems to have been lost in the background with it just peeping over the back of it (the roof bit) to contrast more as per your description, but then you might lose that weird angle that the new building seems to have. Difficult one to do that I imagine though on ground level. Can you get up somewhere high to get a different angle and then both in-shot? :)

Thanks Carl - yes I know what you mean about needing more of the older stuff.

Can't really remember but I think any shot that was from higher up would be from some distance away and then it would all be too small.

If I were preparing an artist's statement (which you sometimes see in art galleries/art student end of year exhibitions) I would make something up (all after the event of course:)) like:

"In this image I was trying to capture the modern development of Liverpool living side by side and merging with (hence the reflections ) the older, more traditional cityscape"

None of which I was thinking about at the time - I just wanted to capture the building in some way that was interesting and as I was walking past with Higher Management (and she was getting a bit fed up with me taking photos on a weekend that she had planned and been looking forward to) I just had to take what I could - and as you indicate taking a shot of a corner of the building was what I decided to do. It was the only shot I had time to take - I had already received a yelloiw card:)

Back