Local Bluebells

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
I ventured down to a local woodlands this morning, hoping to catch some early rays of light filtering through the trees, but just as the sun came up, so did a thick blanket of cloud. Typical!

There was absolutely no sunshine whatsoever this morning, so I captured what I could.

This has been processed to give it a soft look, in an attempt to make something out of a flat shot. It's probably not to everyones cup of tea, as its a little un-photorealistic, but I kinda like it. In fact, I really like it. I hardly ever 'like' shots that are processed in a way that makes them anything less than sharp, or that have an overly 'processed' look to them, so this is a little outside my comfort zone.

Let me know what you think, as always C&C welcomed :)

Bluebell Woods by Matt Franks Photography, on Flickr

Beautiful scene - I'm finding bluebells a bit scarce and spartan this year.

Lovely shot Matt, there's a dreamlike quality to the scene.

Beautiful Matt, Nice light and tones, definitely agree with the dreamlike comment above(y)

Oxfordshire, although travel around a bit with my work. West Woods in Marlborough is a good spot, as is Badbury Clump near Faringdon (where this was taken).
What about yourself?

Thanks, I'm in Bristol and have looked locally and further south (though not extensively) - I'll have to search east :)

Very nice - love the wigwam of sticks as well for added interest.

Liking that Matty, would be nice a little lighter perhaps, but bluebells is bluebells, lovely stuff. Now then, can ANYONE tell me what those wigwams of sticks are about? I see them in woodlands all over the place, including the two I have been in in the last two days, and have no idea what they are about :confused:

Liking that Matty, would be nice a little lighter perhaps, but bluebells is bluebells, lovely stuff. Now then, can ANYONE tell me what those wigwams of sticks are about? I see them in woodlands all over the place, including the two I have been in in the last two days, and have no idea what they are about :confused:
Thanks Yvonne, I am curious as well, they seem to be in all the woodlands Ive visited, even those without the bluebells, hopefully someone can enlighten us.

Thanks Yvonne, I am curious as well, they seem to be in all the woodlands Ive visited, even those without the bluebells, hopefully someone can enlighten us.

If no one answers on this thread, I think I might start an OOF thread asking the question of our countryside experts, because it is one of those things that has bugged me for several years now. :confused:

Nice blue carpet. Went out on Friday, expecting to find similar in Dunsford Woods but although we found the tail end of the daffs, plenty of white anemonies and could smell the ramsons there were very few bluebells out. Maybe next weekend!

We did see a couple of those wigwams and also wondered what they were. If Pete (BSM) sees this, he might know since Dunsford Woods is NT owned and he's an NT warden.

If no one answers on this thread, I think I might start an OOF thread asking the question of our countryside experts, because it is one of those things that has bugged me for several years now. :confused:

We did see a couple. If Pete (BSM) sees this, he might know since Dunsford Woods is NT owned and he's an NT warden.

Its from coppicing - the wigwams are constructed over the stools (that is the stumps left when coppice is cut) to protect regrowth from being browsed by deer /squirrels etc - its a better solution than using tree guards because the wigwams fall apart naturally over two to three years and so have disintegrated by the time the coppice is big enough not to need them.

The other thing you'll sometimes see is 'dead hedging' where brash is layered and staked around the whole coupe (that is the area that has been coppiced) to create a natural barrier that stops deer getting in to the area

(by the way Nod, we haven't had wardens since 2009 , I'm Head Ranger - East Devon)

Reactions: Yv
Its from coppicing - the wigwams are constructed over the stools (that is the stumps left when coppice is cut) to protect regrowth from being browsed by deer /squirrels etc - its a better solution than using tree guards because the wigwams fall apart naturally over two to three years and so have disintegrated by the time the coppice is big enough not to need them.

The other thing you'll sometimes see is 'dead hedging' where brash is layered and staked around the whole coupe (that is the area that has been coppiced) to create a natural barrier that stops deer getting in to the area

(by the way Nod, we haven't had wardens since 2009 , I'm Head Ranger - East Devon)

Ahhh, thankyou Pete, and answer at last!!

That said the one in matty Ds picture isn't a coppice wigwam - (its more like either a collection of timber or kids building a shelter) - in general if you have a cleared area with lots of little wigwams then that's coppicing - I'll post a picture in a minute if I can find one

img_1289.jpg

(note this isn't my picture - its taken by a colleague so I'm only posting it for illustration not photocrit)

Last edited:
It could be harvesting for logburner fuel.
When the long poles are stood on end like that they shed most of the rain and are almost fit to burn at any time soon after being picked up.
If they are stashed horizontally they catch far more rain and a larger area is in contact with the ground = very wet.

The other explanations above are also plausible.

Last edited:
Lovely Photograph, do like to see woods with a carpet of Bluebells, re the wood stood on end, in the woods where I live we have them too, sometimes I see kids dragging branches & so on & putting them there to make a sort of a little hide to play in.:)

Back