Local Football Photo's

Hi Darren, I have to agree with Jeff, you need to crop tighter. Watch your back grounds as in No2, I know it's not always possible to get a nice bg at some places.
Focus and exposure look good, No4 would be my pick with a tighter crop.
Was No1 a save or a goal?

Hey thanks guys.
I'm always a little tentative with cropping, as I'm not sure what the best way to go is.
Out of interest, particularly in no.4, would you suggest keeping the same ratio by bringing the top right corner in towards the blue players head, and
in doing so lose the head of the bearded guy, or would that not really matter?
Or maybe bring the right hand side inwards towards the blue player, and taking out the right hand side white player?
Interested in what you think, and what the 'industry standard' is (if there is such a thing).
Oh, and No1 was a save! I reckon he could've held it myself! ;)

Last edited:
Unless you are planning on printing the photo at a certain size, I wouldn't worry too much about keeping aspect ratio. In No4 I would personally crop so that only the two players contesting the ball were shown, I would not crop from the top as the players need space at the top if that makes sense.

Yeah, I see what your saying Dave, and it certainly has more of an impact as an image when it's cropped as you've suggested.
I do sell a number of prints from photo's, so my cropping, if it has to happen, is always a bit minimal, but I can certainly see
an action image beng isolated from any other clutter in the scene as being a more striking image. I suppose if the were being
published, then you can get away with the cropping, as the quality is not an issue in media print/online image.
Thanks again
(y)

good action shots there Darren, I never know how much to crop in a pic! depends on the market your aiming for I guess.

Back