Critique Loch Tulla - Colour or B&W

Definitely the colour one, lovely composition.

Reactions: ST4
colour for me too

Perhaps the monochrome conversion could be improved upon to bring out what I see as two ellipses, the trees and their reflection and the hill and its reflection.

Colour....by far.

Another vote for colour (y)

Lovely reflections, so much better in colour.

I think the scene lacks the dramatic lighting that would make the b&w into a good shot, although it would be worth reprocessing if you want to crank up the contrast and maybe use a colour filter to highlight the blue patches in the sky? Just a thought.

Of the two, I prefer the mono but I think it lacks contrast. The colour is too green.

Steve

The colour doesn't work for me as it is almost monochrome in itself being predominantly green.

The B&W is better in that there is more definition but it still needs more work to make it a stand out shot - perhaps some dodging on the far hill and foreshore?

I'd also suggest cropping the bottom to mirror the amount of sky above the trees as the foreground doesn't hold any interest for me.

I am not convinced that it works in the B&W, maybe there is just too much going on without a substantial focal point, tonally quite similar, without clear tonal recession through the frame.

I am never sure that this 'colour or B&W' theme is well-founded. I think that if you are going to take a photograph you generally need to decide whether it is going to be B&W or not before you take it. The whole Ansel Adams 'previsualisation' thing has much to be said for it.

Looking a week on, I can see theses too much grey scale in the B&W and will stick with the colour for the print I get done (for my home and/or reselling) and gallery for my website. Thanks all for commenting.

Back