London Bridge and The Shard at night

Been a while since I've done any real night photography so I feel like I'm starting over so any feedback welcome!

2 Shot HDR @ f13

London Bridge by Adam P, on Flickr
Nice shot and colourful, that`s how I like night shots.
Just above the light next to the Shard is maybe 4 white lines going left to right, that I find distracting and the Plane lights on the right.
Other than that it`s all good (To me)

This is a nice shot.

These are not criticisms they are just ways that you could change this kind of shot in the future.

If may have been better if you had panned a bit left, to get the Shard on the left 1/3 of the image. Also it would have been nice to see more of the bridge on the left, but this bit of the shot is often blocked.

You could have cleaned your lens before hand which would have helped with all the large white blobs in the sky.

If you had shot earlier in the evening you would have got more life in the sky and it would have reduced the glare from the bridge street lighting.

You could also have corrected the verticals to give it a more classic architectural look.

Hope that helps.

www.andrewhatfield.co.uk

Last edited:
Nice shot and colourful, that`s how I like night shots.
Just above the light next to the Shard is maybe 4 white lines going left to right, that I find distracting and the Plane lights on the right.
Other than that it`s all good (To me)

I hadn't noticed the white lines or the plane light trail but now you've pointed them out they are the first thing I spot! I'll have to clone them out.

This is a nice shot.

These are not criticisms they are just ways that you could change this kind of shot in the future.

If may have been better if you had panned a bit left, to get the Shard on the left 1/3 of the image. Also it would have been nice to see more of the bridge on the left, but this bit of the shot is often blocked.

You could have cleaned your lens before hand which would have helped with all the large white blobs in the sky.

If you had shot earlier in the evening you would have got more life in the sky and it would have reduced the glare from the bridge street lighting.

You could also have corrected the verticals to give it a more classic architectural look.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the feedback, it's given me a lot to think about, I'll be back in London in a few weeks so may give it another go with a little more colour in the sky, I only had two hours in London between arriving at Liverpool Street and catching a train from Euston.

I'd like to have taken in from a spot just a bit further along the river but there was a tree overhanging the embankment wall which was getting in the shot so had to go a little closer to London Bridge

Lens has been cleaned, I don't normally take night photos so I hadn't actually noticed how dusty it was!

I normally find the best time is about 30 mins after sunset if you are shooting to the east or about 45 mins if you are shooting west. You will hear people talking about the golden hour for twilight photography but when you have artificial light in the shot the period when you get a nice balance of natural light and artificial light is actually very short. You can see plenty of examples of balanced light on my lighting page https://www.andrewhatfield.co.uk/lightingphotography

www.andrewhatfield.co.uk

Last edited:
I normally find the best time is about 30 mins after sunset if you are shooting to the east or about 45 mins if you are shooting west. You will hear people talking about the golden hour for twilight photography but when you have artificial light in the shot the period when you get a nice balance of natural light and artificial light is actually very short. You can see plenty of examples of balanced light on my lighting page https://www.andrewhatfield.co.uk/lightingphotography

Just taking a look through some of your images, really nice work, giving me some inspiration!

Ryde Esplanade has changed a lot since I was there last.

Back