London Eye (Long Exposure Daytime)

#3 for me good stuff think I would crop to the dark tree bases, just above the oval grid thingy, would like to see a colour version (y)

Thanks Dave, you might be right about that crop, thanks, I'll try that.

definitely no.3 has strong composition
Sorry, but no.1 is spoilt by the building on the left being a distraction.

Great images though ;-)

No. 3 is very good with strong composition. Not a soul in sight!

Thanks Mal, there were actually hundreds of people walking around; its juts that the shot was exposed for 79 seconds that you don't see anyone as they were all moving around.

I like all three of these, but especially the way the clouds came out. By the way, you've got a sensor spot that you can see about 1/3 of the way in from the left on the second one and about 1/3 of the way down on the first.

Hmmm... interesting. When I take a portrait-format shot, I rotate the camera round to the left so that the shutter release is on top. Looks like you rotated it the opposite way. Are you left-handed, by any chance? :)

I love the third one, composition is spot on and the lines draw the eye right to the wheel.

I like all three of these, but especially the way the clouds came out. By the way, you've got a sensor spot that you can see about 1/3 of the way in from the left on the second one and about 1/3 of the way down on the first.

Hmmm... interesting. When I take a portrait-format shot, I rotate the camera round to the left so that the shutter release is on top. Looks like you rotated it the opposite way. Are you left-handed, by any chance? :)

How did you know about the rotation? I usually do the same as you, however, the tripod head I have flips down to the right hence why the button is at the bottom but I use a remote switch on long exposure shots anyway so doesn't really bother me.

I think its just fluff from the hitech pro-stop....it was pretty dusty...at least I hope it is!

How did you know about the rotation?

I'm psychic! No, hang on, I'm Derren Brown. No, hang on, um... Sherlock? Patrick Jane? ;)

If you rotated it to the left, as most of us seem to do, the dust spot that's at the left when the camera is horizontal would be 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. But it's 1/3 of the way down from the top.

haha, pretty interesting that you noticed that. Looks like it is on the sensor then....crap! Time to clean!

#2 is my personal favourite ... I like the eye from that perspective.

Other two are not far behind

Great these, building on the left in the first is a shame as someone pointed above, i love the last. When i tried to shoot here with a tripod i was told to put it away by security, anyone else had that problem?

Great these, building on the left in the first is a shame as someone pointed above, i love the last. When i tried to shoot here with a tripod i was told to put it away by security, anyone else had that problem?

I got asked 4 times to put my tripod away, just kept very polite and tried to argue that it was public property to which they replied "no it isn't" and as I wasn't sure I just responded by saying, can I just take a couple of shots and I'll be gone and they agreed.

The walkway and pavements around the Eye are private property, so in theory they have the right to ask you to put tripods away/move along etc etc

its always worth being polite and asking very nicely if you can just finish what you are doing ... mostly they say yes!

Last edited:
I got asked 4 times to put my tripod away, just kept very polite and tried to argue that it was public property to which they replied "no it isn't" and as I wasn't sure I just responded by saying, can I just take a couple of shots and I'll be gone and they agreed.

Yeah always best to be polite, i had a guy stop me in Liverpool few weeks back, thought i was filming since i was making a time lapse and staying in one place for ages. Seems they dont like filming around Liverpool One, even thou i explained i was only taking photos not filming but he was nice and polite and i kept him talking for about 6 minutes while i carried on getting shots one every 4 seconds, always best to be polite to make sure you get what you want :)

Back