London - first go at street photography

I like them the 3rd being the one i like most not sure about the last a bit dark for me but still a nice shot.

I like them the 3rd being the one i like most not sure about the last a bit dark for me but still a nice shot.

Thanks. I will try lightening the last when I am back at my PC.

I agree think 3 is the strongest. But I do quite 1 also, its a little bit different. 2 for me I think it is the fact that the feet have been cut spoils it for me. Don't really get 4.

With 'street photography' an image has to have a strong narrative (or story) to make it strong - it has to capture a defining moment. I'm afraid these don't. There is a man looking at a camera, two girls walking, a woman buying a coffee and a woman doing something looking at a camera.

I don't mean to be harsh but what you must look for is those moments we as the viewer can connect to (a shared joke, an argument, tears etc.) and the more of that image which enhances that moment the better.

With 'street photography' an image has to have a strong narrative (or story) to make it strong - it has to capture a defining moment. I'm afraid these don't. There is a man looking at a camera, two girls walking, a woman buying a coffee and a woman doing something looking at a camera.

I don't mean to be harsh but what you must look for is those moments we as the viewer can connect to (a shared joke, an argument, tears etc.) and the more of that image which enhances that moment the better.

Whilst I agree with the lack of narrative I feel they all have a strong aesthetic.

I like the lighting and composition.

Phil

First go?, not too bad and I bet it wasn't easy to do, can't offer much crit but the only thing that stands out to me is number 3, now if you had caught the taking of a big fat greasy burger from a hand or two from the window of the burger van, then I think it would have made the shot, the interaction would have been there.

Last edited:

I see. That sounds difficult to achieve. I have looked through my others and the only one with a narrative is this

780B1647.jpg by biotecbob, on Flickr

#1 for me, great shot, he's looking right at you, well taken !

Likwise, I really like the first shot too (y)

I understand what Christo is saying, but I think these are very good for a first go - I'm still not confident enough to just shoot complete strangers in the street :shake: so kudos to you for having a go and for producing a set like this first time out!

Likwise, I really like the first shot too (y)

I understand what Christo is saying, but I think these are very good for a first go - I'm still not confident enough to just shoot complete strangers in the street :shake: so kudos to you for having a go and for producing a set like this first time out!

Thanks. Yes I was a bit worried that someone might object!

Back