London Photography Project - Tubemapper

Name
Luke A
Edit My Images
No
Hello this is my first topic :D...

I wanted to share a landscape photography project that I have been building for quite a while. It's called Tubemapper.com

The idea behind tubemapper is to visually explore London using the City's Underground transport infrastructure as the key starting point for exploration.

Our busy lives sometimes makes us miss the beauty or interesting sights that can be seen along our commute across London. This project shares some of the sites, stations, trains, buses and landmarks that we can encounter when traveling on and beyond the London Underground.

The site has just been built and I'm still adding more pages and fixing things but would love you guys to take a look. Here are some pics...

regards
Luke Agbaimoni

TUBEMAPPER.COM
website | instagram |facebook | twitter |flickr

big-ben-bike-1024x768.jpg

bus-reflect-small-1024x768.jpg

east-india2-1024x768.jpg

poplar-1024x768.jpg

3-1024x768.jpg

piccadily2-1024x768.jpg

cablecar-1024x768.jpg

Great idea luke, and some nice shots in there.

Do you not think what you've wrote and the type of photography you do a little conflicting though?

Talking about the beauty of things around a busy commute but then shooting HRD images beyond what the human eye (and daily commuter) would ever see anyway?

Talking about the beauty of things around a busy commute but then shooting HRD images beyond what the human eye (and daily commuter) would ever see anyway?

Thanks for the critique and looking at my work but only the train shot is HDR. The others are all long shutter, The Cable car is a combined 2 shot pic

I'm night and rain shooter, and always look out for those extra colours we ignore because we are getting drenched by the rain. I like the injection of colour you get at twilight and the blue hour. This is when I usually take my pictures

:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the critique and looking at my work but only the train shot is HDR. The others are all long shutter, The Cable car is a combined 2 shot pic

I'm night and rain shooter, and always look out for those extra colours we ignore because we are getting drenched by the rain. I like the injection of colour you get at twilight and the blue hour. This is when I usually take my pictures

:)

Like I said, I like the idea. Would probably be something I'd check out before travelling to London to see what shooting opportunities exist around each station.

Very interesting, and visually sumptuous, photographic essay on city life- contrasting, for me, the glamour with the essential bleakness. The study of the underground station is rather at odds, imo, with the rest of the set, for the lack of passion in it, though it is a very good photo in its own right.

Last edited:
Very interesting, and visually sumptuous, photographic essay on city life- contrasting, for me, the glamour with the essential bleakness. The study of the underground station is rather at odds, imo, with the rest of the set, for the lack of passion in it, though it is a very good photo in its own right.

Yes you are right. The photos chosen here are mostly those that took quite a bit of time for elements to be perfect, but I added the station shot as a contrast the lavish ones. The problem is that there are hundreds of photos in this project, so there are probably loads of different sets. Some sumptuous, others plain or arty. When I started taking landscape pics in 2008 I was into HDR. The train pic above was done with a normal Canon point and shoot camera. I won a competition with that shot, the prize was an Olympus pen. This was then later upgraded to the EM5. These have much better dynamic range than the Canon, which meant HDR became less necessary. I now have an Sony A7RII which is great all all round camera IMHO :)

Very interesting to learn something of the background- thank you for that, and I wish you well for the future with this worthwhile project. Maybe we'll get to see further snatches of it as it progresses...

Some stunning shots here and on the site. My only comment is that your Kentish Town looks more like Chalk Farm to me, though I only pass through these and don't often come out.

I really like Cyprus and East India

The wideangle seems a bit overused. Perhaps mix in some shots taken with a longer lens?

Hum, not sure about the selection you've shown us as they are mostly tourist locations.
The city is pretty well criss-crossed and accessible using the underground, especially centrally. Now if it had a link in the imagery to the tube stations rather than a tenuous 'I used the tube to get there...' Earl's court works well for this as there's just the hint of the station entrance in the background.

Some of the tube stations have stunning features or are amazing architecture in themselves, especially some south of the river where the art deco features haven't been destroyed, original features are still there, like lights, windows etc, or the platform is still in the middle of two tracks. Then as a complete contrast, there's the sanitized steel and concrete of stations such as Westminster or Canary Wharf.

I like the idea of night and wet, perfect time of year to get more of these and works well with reflections. The long exposures work well, just watch for how much you blow the highlights
Be careful of mixing black and white with colour images in a set/series, I'd keep them separate.

Definitely a project with some promise.

Have a look at the work of Nick Turpin, Through a Glass Darkly
http://nickturpin.com/portfolio/winter-bus/

The wideangle seems a bit overused. Perhaps mix in some shots taken with a longer lens?
I do also carry a longer lens, but mainly take landscapes. Perhaps I'll do a few sessions with this lens, it is also lovely.

Some stunning shots here and on the site. My only comment is that your Kentish Town looks more like Chalk Farm to me, though I only pass through these and don't often come out.

I really like Cyprus and East India

Ha, you know you are correct, that is Chalk Farm! I will amend this shortly, thanks for spotting this!

Not clicked through to the site, but what's posted here doesn't fit as a single project for me. And like Byker says, the images don't seem to sit with the stated idea either - you're saying about missing things as people rush around the city, but then you've got images of the Palace of Westminster, and a big red London bus. Pretty sure people notice them a fair bit.

Ditto Byker again on the style, you've got colour, black and white, toned black and white, and selective colour. Not wanting to be boring and prescriptive about always using a uniform treatment for a series, but I don't see how mixing it up like this is helping here.

That all seems a bit negative, but I think if you're going to shoot a project, then it should be focussed on showing something in particular. Whether you know what that is or not when you start - maybe it will start to head in a more singular direction as you keep shooting it.

Have a look at the work of Nick Turpin, Through a Glass Darkly
http://nickturpin.com/portfolio/winter-bus/

Ooh I like that. Lovely colours and great patience. Thanks for sharing that link :)

The examples I used here were for impact I guess. Many of the stations on the website are not in touristy spots. I'm actually a South East Londoner, so this is the London I'm more familiar with though the underground network is not well represented in my area. Thanks for the suggestions and tips. As there are hundreds of photos here I think I will have many different collections within the one set. I will have to be careful on how I present these though :)

Last edited:
That all seems a bit negative, but I think if you're going to shoot a project, then it should be focussed on showing something in particular. Whether you know what that is or not when you start - maybe it will start to head in a more singular direction as you keep shooting it.

I don't think it is negative, these are all valid points. There are different collections within this project, so I will have to think carefully on how these are presented to give the set a solid story Thanks for you comments :)

Cool idea but the images have a very tenuous relevance/connection to the tube. If you are going to take general postcard images of London, just do that. The first shot is gorgeous, love the dark drama and mood. The second is a very cliched selective colour pic of a red bus arghhh. Step away from the computer! The third is a very cool moody image. The fourth lacks human connectivity and is a cold and often repeated tube shot. The fourth has drama and Dr Who. Good postcard. The fifth just doesn't work in B/W. Another postcard shot. The last one is a pretty picture of the cable car but nothing more.

Basically, if the style of the first was continued and more visually linked to the tube itself in some way, you'll have a very interesting project. But judging from these you have not identified what you are trying to say or show. Overall very good work, I'm not being negative, just pointing out what I think needs saying. Oh, and please no more selective colour crap!

I do agree with most of the above, but I will add 'in my opinion' to my comments - I think people state things as fact when ultimately it's purely their opinion. You've not done anything 'wrong' and your images are all really strong, I like what I see.

When I started to read your introduction I did think I'd see something very different to what you are showing us. I haven't clicked to your site yet but I will. I live a tranquil life in the country now, but I lived in SE London for a short while, just 5 years so I can't pretend to be an expert. I can say that some of the images are touristy, and I kind of agree with the 'postcard' comment, in fact if you wanted to make some cash you could probably get some printed as postcards and do really well.

But that's not what you want to do is it. I was hoping to see something based around the tube network, as thats what you sold me. I don't mind seeing outside the stations, and I think the bus image has a place, sure everyone sees the buses but they don't stop and stare, your image does make you look, everyone in London does walk around with their face to the floor and not just when it's raining. You can't look up, someone may talk to you - scary thought!

I think you have talent, both for photography and processing, but I'm not yet sure if you could sell a website, book or pack out an event showcasing the images as some are what every tourist sees and most in London simply want to avoid.

Good luck with your project, it's great you have an idea, maybe just try to tighten it and make it really work. I've been trying to nail down a project myself but it's just to broad ranging just now, so I do realise how hard it can be and I hope my comments are seen as I intend them.

I do agree with most of the above, but I will add 'in my opinion' to my comments - I think people state things as fact when ultimately it's purely their opinion. You've not done anything 'wrong' and your images are all really strong, I like what I see..

I can say that some of the images are touristy, and I kind of agree with the 'postcard' comment, in fact if you wanted to make some cash you could probably get some printed as postcards and do really well.

Thanks I guess it's probably best to take a look at the website to have a better understanding of what I'm trying to achieve. I've never attempted to sell postcards, seems like hard work as you'd have to sell many for a good profit. I do however have images on Getty, and also sell prints from my websites as this seems easier :)

Thanks I guess it's probably best to take a look at the website to have a better understanding of what I'm trying to achieve. I've never attempted to sell postcards, seems like hard work as you'd have to sell many for a good profit. I do however have images on Getty, and also sell prints from my websites as this seems easier :)

I was sure you didn't want to sell postcards! Your site is good, and it has a real London Undergroumd feel, I like the list of lines to click through to the images. Have you thought about eventual orders on the lines? How many pictures do you plan for each station? It could easily be a huge project, which I guess make sure it more interesting for you as the photographer as ultimately it doesn't ever need to end. I do like your reflection images in puddles and the wet ground, it's inspired me to have a go at taking some locally.

Keep up the good work, I've bookmarked your site, I have a list of blogs I check in on every month or so, if they don't get updated they get deleted but if they are interesting and things change I enjoy following them :)

I was sure you didn't want to sell postcards! Your site is good, and it has a real London Undergroumd feel, I like the list of lines to click through to the images. Have you thought about eventual orders on the lines? How many pictures do you plan for each station? It could easily be a huge project, which I guess make sure it more interesting for you as the photographer as ultimately it doesn't ever need to end. I do like your reflection images in puddles and the wet ground, it's inspired me to have a go at taking some locally.

Keep up the good work, I've bookmarked your site, I have a list of blogs I check in on every month or so, if they don't get updated they get deleted but if they are interesting and things change I enjoy following them :)

Yes the website is actually a big part of the project, I'm a web designer so a lot of time was spent making navigation feel like the underground, and designing elements to feel right. (I guess I should have said this in the original description ;))

I don't have a limit on photos for stations and I like that this project can go on for a long to time.

I have considered selling the project by tube line, probably as a book or something like that. But still early days/

WET / RAIN PHOTOGRAPHY

Yes I really enjoy this. For me the best time to do this is when the floor is already wet and there is still a light drizzle. It keeps the floor from absorbing the water, and you still have strong reflections

tower-bridge4.jpg

I like the whole idea. I do have a bit of a love of underground photos though and plan to snap a lot of my own during an upcoming working week stay in London :). Will be following your work with keen interest.

I like the whole idea. I do have a bit of a love of underground photos though and plan to snap a lot of my own during an upcoming working week stay in London :). Will be following your work with keen interest.

Thanks. The project is a lot of fun. I keep taking different routes to places so I can capture new stations. If the buildings are uninspiring I either venture outside the station or explore further underground.

Luke Agbaimoni

TUBEMAPPER.COM
website
| instagram |facebook | twitter |flickr

london-bridge2.jpg

The project is impressively ambitious in its scale - it will take years to complete and I, judging by some of the buildings (not) in some of the shots, I can see that you've been at it since at least 2010 already :)

I think you're going to find a bigger challenge to maintain visual momentum if you move out into the suburbs - it's tougher to find visual interest at Morden than it is at London Bridge (and I have done both)

Ditto Byker again on the style, you've got colour, black and white, toned black and white, and selective colour. Not wanting to be boring and prescriptive about always using a uniform treatment for a series, but I don't see how mixing it up like this is helping here.

Fair points in isolation to each other, but I would be tempted to suggest that using a wide angle lens is the one thing that ties everything together visually at this point. Introducing longer focal lengths without addressing the other stylistic variations may not improve matters.

As a mechanism for allowing some variation, but in keeping with the the concept, it may be worth investigating creating a set of images with colours that echo the colour of each line for each station on them - black and white for the Northern, lots of brake lights and buses for stations along the Central, clear blue skies for the Victoria and so on. Where you have connecting stations on more than one line, you have the option of shooting for either colour theme. Possibly a bit of a blunt instrument, but there it is as an idea for you.

Last edited:
The project is impressively ambitious in its scale - it will take years to complete and I, judging by some of the buildings (not) in some of the shots, I can see that you've been at it since at least 2010 already :)

Yes the project is stupidly ambitious. So should keep me busy and inspired which is the main idea.

Tubemapper came about when I completed another project called DocklandsPhotography.com. The docklands project was about capturing photos of the remaining dockland locations in London. So when this project ended, I already had tons of dlr stations and nearby landmarks.

I think you're going to find a bigger challenge to maintain visual momentum if you move out into the suburbs - it's tougher to find visual interest at Morden than it is at London Bridge (and I have done both).

Yeah I actually like when its difficult. Its interesting trying to discover a shot when nothing seems to be around. The docklands project taught me this, as much of it was quite bleak. But if you look hard enough, something would shine :)

Thanks for your measured and thoughtful response.

Back