London Scene

Skyline

Emmet Brickowski
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Although this may be a boring photo for some as it's a view many have probably seen before. I'm posting it as I would like hints and tips please. I'm getting more and more into night photography.

Is there to much in it? Is the comp ok?

50mm lens
F8
iso 400
1 second

Bit under exposed. Did you take a number of exposures?
I would have placed Elizabeth tower on the third line.

Bit under exposed. Did you take a number of exposures?
I would have placed Elizabeth tower on the third line.

I did but I thought this was the best. Maybe a bit lighter in future then :ty:

I find the blue illumination distracting and it doesn't offer a good contrast to the rest of the scene.

The exposure looks ok to me for a night shot. The detail retention is good.

I don't generally set much store by thirds, but the red lights on the cranes on the left edge are an unnecessary distraction to my eyes and the image could lose a little from that edge. It would have been interesting to see a portrait orientation shot (or squarer crop) that made more use of the river as foreground and the strong diagonal of the pontoon.

Edit: and I like the blue, it's a nice splash of colour and always works well in a nightlit scene.

Last edited:
The exposure looks ok to me for a night shot. The detail retention is good.

I don't generally set much store by thirds, but the red lights on the cranes on the left edge are an unnecessary distraction to my eyes and the image could lose a little from that edge. It would have been interesting to see a portrait orientation shot (or squarer crop) that made more use of the river as foreground and the strong diagonal of the pontoon.

Edit: and I like the blue, it's a nice splash of colour and always works well in a nightlit scene.

Thanks for the advice (y)

There are some jpg-jaggies in the crop (is this a cropped jpg rather than a raw?), but the second of the two crops is a stronger image than the original. It helps place the people on the pier in the scene and they provide a sense of scale.

It was taken in raw. They are both quick jpeg crops.

I did but I thought this was the best. Maybe a bit lighter in future then :ty:

No! You take and post the image as you feel. It's your work.

I think it's good and should have said first post as well as adding my personal views.

No! You take and post the image as you feel. It's your work.

I think it's good and should have said first post as well as adding my personal views.

Yar, but I want to improve my night photography so any help from people that know I'll take on board :)

Back