Lone Tree on BackTor and Lose Hill

I think you have been overseduced by the allure of contrast with the B&W, you have pulled the far hillside, with its patches of gorse or heather, too close to the lone tree, thereby losing the tree and losing tonal recession.

I can see where you were going with the graphic quality, but on balance the colour version is far more subtle, and better for it.

Very nice to see a photo of Back Tor rather than Mam Tor! Many years ago I used to look out on Back Tor every morning. I don't know if the Lady's Face is still visible or it it's eroded away, you rarely get a shot of Back Tor from across the valley.

I am with Toby on this one regarding the B&W shot. No1 I really like the colour, very subtle. Like the layers of the 3 different hills. Very nice soft dawn colouring in the clouds running up through blue grey to the heavy dark layer at the top. The tree is popping more on the colour as on the B&W its blending in with the dark patches on the hillside behind.
Nice Work

Really liking the B&W Version, brings out the tones more of the hills along with the dark sky line at the top of the image, nicely done (y)
Thanks Joe (y)

I think you have been overseduced by the allure of contrast with the B&W, you have pulled the far hillside, with its patches of gorse or heather, too close to the lone tree, thereby losing the tree and losing tonal recession.

I can see where you were going with the graphic quality, but on balance the colour version is far more subtle, and better for it.
Appreciate the feedback Toby - now you mention this I can see it loud and clear - may need to have a look at that to see if I can gain some separation.
FWIW I prefer the colour version too although I am a sucker for B&Ws!

Very nice to see a photo of Back Tor rather than Mam Tor! Many years ago I used to look out on Back Tor every morning. I don't know if the Lady's Face is still visible or it it's eroded away, you rarely get a shot of Back Tor from across the valley.
It is a different shot of the area and I admit to having doen the classic views of/from Mam Tor but I loved the lines and curves of this.

I am with Toby on this one regarding the B&W shot. No1 I really like the colour, very subtle. Like the layers of the 3 different hills. Very nice soft dawn colouring in the clouds running up through blue grey to the heavy dark layer at the top. The tree is popping more on the colour as on the B&W its blending in with the dark patches on the hillside behind.
Nice Work
Hi Steve. Thanks for your comments - always good and insightful.

Nice Adrian ,I like the first more ,the muted colours work well

Thanks Dave. Agree re the colour one. I've never seen the colours like that before either so it was nice to get the three layers of colour. The tree was a bonus!

Back