Critique Long Exposure close up/abstracts

Name
Billy
Edit My Images
Yes
I stopped by at Filey a few weeks ago in between other locations, so had a few goes at some long(ish) exposure abstracts/close ups of the sea since the wider landscape didn't seem to throw up much appealing at the time (a bit cliche I know, but they were fun to shoot). All shot with Nikon D3200 and 18-55 kit lens, and slightly crappy 3-stop ND filter that I really should upgrade to at least a cokin or something (Recommendations? I don't really have the budget for a Lee filter unfortunately!) ....
Comments and critique always welcome!

Chasing White Horses by Billy Clapham, on Flickr

Dancing Surf by Billy Clapham, on Flickr

Hugged by the Waves by Billy Clapham, on Flickr

Stuck by Billy Clapham, on Flickr

The Inevitable Tide by Billy Clapham, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Bill

Last edited:
if your looking to upgrade to a quality ND filter without premium prices look at the Haida Pro ll filters.. the ND1000 ( big 10 stopper ) costs around £30-40 depending on filter size and is outstanding quality.

4 and 5 work for me. Never thought of doing anything like this but you have given me a nudge to do it.

I like those! I could almost hear the ebbing and flowing of the waves.

If the second photo was turned up-side down, people would be forgiven in thinking that is a sky full of cirrus.

Number 2 works best for me, I like the fact that the shot is almost ambiguous - it could be a sky as Ian said, or waves under a pack of clear Arctic ice rather than what it acutally is.

I also like the layers of textures in it, and although this isn't something that I would necessarily shoot I would be really pleased with it - well done Billy.

Thanks very much guys! I agree about it almost looking sky like, to be honest I don't often take more abstract shots, I mainly took these because I had some time to kill and wanted something to do, but maybe I should do it more often!

Nothing technically wrong but close ups just aren't my bag. I'd loved to have seen a more open view here
Fair enough! I did take a couple of wide shots, they just didn't quite do it for me like the close up ones did- I have attached a couple below. I was hoping to get out onto the big rocky out-crop full of rock pools (situated at the end of the cliffs in these shots), but I had to leave in time to get some where and the tide was against me, so I erred on the side of caution and stuck to the beach area.
View attachment 16483

View attachment 16484

Back