Long exposure + flash

Name
Barry-John Theobald
Edit My Images
Yes
For the new year I thought I'd try my hand at something different and learn flash photography. I also wanted to try and capture more emotive images. I watched a piece on Sky News about North Korea and the treatment of captured (attempted) escapees. People spoke of the brutality in the 're-education' camps, and the pain, despair and lack of hope that people feel. That news piece inspired this image -- it is in no way supposed to be political, but rather the feeling I got from the people that were interviewed. The image is entitled The Horrors I've Seen.

The photograph is a single 4s exposure, using the flash to freeze the final expression. It took a few attempts to get the image I wanted. I thought I'd post for comment and criticism -- please feel free to be as brutal as needed. I expect this sort of image is not to the taste of many.

The-Horrors-Ive-Seen,medium_large.1420935347.jpg

Hi Barry.

This could have been just another regular gimmicky image, but it is not, you have captured something here even without your description the exspression and gritty/movement seem to work in disturbing the viewer.

Gaz

It certainly disturbed me. :)

I think it's wonderfully creative and well thought out. If anything, and this is probably only just me, I'd tweak those highlights on your tongue, turn them down a bit. But that's probably being stupidly picky. :)

I like it too. To be honest (and I have to be honest because theres no point in commenting otherwise) - it does look very "frankenstein" because of the crop to the top of the head (reminded me of boris karloff) . Its not meant to be offensive to you (as it is a selfie) - just my initial thoughts on the image.

BorisKarloff.jpg

Thanks very much for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

I see where you coming from about the highlights on the tongue @sunnyside_up -- they should be easy enough to tone down.

Also, no offence take at all about the Frankenstein reference @Carlh -- my brother in law said exactly the same thing when he saw it. Mind you, he would say that about any picture with me in! :)

Nothing brutal from me I love it, dark gritty and scary ( not you personally ;) ) very creative :D

An evocative, dark image some will identify with. Looks like despair personified. Life can make us feel this way -- tortured. Would suit a book cover on themes like these. Good processing too.

Back