looking for a tripod like this

Name
Shayne
Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone. I will have to replace a tripod broken in an accident and so I thought I would step up a bit sense I have a better idea of what I want this time. I'm not sure what you call this type but the thing that I like is being able to get my camera very low to the ground and being able to put the camera in all kinds of positions. This will be my main tripod so of course it needs to be sturdy. I have heavy equipment, 5DIII , 70-200 2.8II and so on. I want to compare some of these but sense I don't know what you call them it's hard. I was hoping you could help me with that or give me some more options. My price range is around 500 U.S dollars or so.

Thank you

Try looking through manfrotto tripods. You need something without a central bar.

if you want low to the ground and endless positions possible look at benbo (stands for bent bolt)tripods there not light but they will hold a good weight

if you want low to the ground and endless positions possible look at benbo (stands for bent bolt)tripods there not light but they will hold a good weight

Think scaffold poles.. :) I have the UniLock version....(had it 20 plus years..)

Look at Gitzo too. Brilliant quality & will go down to ground level. Are expensive though. Hope your well on the mend now.

I've edited this as didn't read the thread properly :mad:. Gitzo will be beyond your budget if you're looking around the $500 mark. Sorry.

Last edited:
The Vanguard alta pro and Giottos ytl tripods may be able to do what you're looking for.

Gitzo CF "Mountaineer" I think that they call it - plus if you have a strong preference for levers rather than the usual screw type thing then that eliminates quite a few brands

But Gitzo are always very very good but cost twice as much as anything near

Look at Gitzo too. Brilliant quality & will go down to ground level. Are expensive though. Hope your well on the mend now.

I've edited this as didn't read the thread properly :mad:. Gitzo will be beyond your budget if you're looking around the $500 mark. Sorry.

I'm at home for the first time sense the accident, so I'm thankful for that. Thanks for asking btw. I generally don't set price limits until I am done looking but gezz the price can get up into 15 17k range. That's the only reason I set that price. I figure insurance will give me a couple hundred for my old one and I would pitch in the rest. I like the idea of seeing the big picture with all that's out there and never having buyers remorse because I should of bought something I did not know existed.
Thanks.

i would then confirm the option of looking at the O55 Manfrotto carbon fibre ( 3 section version ).
has the features your looking for , holds upto 9Kg ( thats about 19 lbs i guess )
and the 3 section version is
MT055CXPRO3 and can be found headless for around £350 or less
the great thing about manfrottos are the amount of user servicable parts and what not too

I totally forgot to include the tripod that I saw that is similar to what I want. sorry.

http://www.adorama.com/BGMT190CXP3.html#seeDemo

From the script... "key feature of the 190CXPRO3 is its 90° centre column mechanism, which allows the column to be extended vertically as normal, or horizontally to open up a wide range of framing and shooting possibilities;"

If that will allow you to get the shot you want then it's job done... but if you need something more flexible as others have I'd also recommend the Benbo/Uniloc.

I rarely use a tripod but for occasional use I used to have a Manfrotto and it frustrated me no end so I gave it away and got a Benbo and now I'd never go back to a conventional column through the centre design. Added bonuses are that my Benbo is more stable than my Manfrotto (unless you configure it so that it isn't...) and it can take rough conditions in the field.

They're worth a look IMVHO.

Sounds like you need a Benbo. Nothing beats them for getting your camera into weird places and angles. Be warned though, it's like wrestling with a set of bagpipes :)

Sounds like you need a Benbo. Nothing beats them for getting your camera into weird places and angles. Be warned though, it's like wrestling with a set of bagpipes :)

There's an additional column bracket thingy you can get that greatly eases this. I have one :D and handling isn't a problem with it fitted as you can set the legs and then set the column :D

Update.
I was in my local store last weekend and they were having a big sale. They had reps there from Manfrotto and bendro (not sure if that is what you all are calling Bembo) so I got a lot of good info. I ended up buying a 055CXPro4 and got a really good deal on it. 499.00 u.s.d (391 euro) was normal cost but I got for 324.00 u.s.d. (254 euro). I am starting to second guess my choice because it is so much bigger than my old one. I think I will not want to carry it because of the size. I do like the way I can adjust it for low shots and macro. I looked for something in the Manfrotto that would be a little smaller folded but there really isn't anything that will work. Perhaps this is going to be the one.

View attachment 25100

Bought one of these for a 5D MkIII mounted with either a 70-300L or 300 F4 holds them no problem.

Used for Low shots.

£129.00 which should be about $202.14. Or less you lucky Americans.

MeFOTO DayTrip

The Key Features
  • Supports: 4000g
  • Weighs: 820g
  • Maximum height: 60cm
  • Minimum height: 24cm
  • Single Action Ballhead with mini Arca-Swiss style plate
  • Head and Pan Lock - Head tension and pan knob help make the right adjustment
  • Integral Bubble Level - Get level when you set up to avoid uneven pans and head movements
  • Adjustable center column
  • Reversible Center Column - Even though this tripod gets super low to begin with, reverse the center column and get even lower for awesome macro photography
  • Center Column Lock
  • Inverting Legs - Legs fold back 180 degrees to make this tiny tripod even more compact
  • Compact - The tripod legs can be inverted and folded back 180° making it small enough to carry just about anywhere
  • Three Leg Angle Positions - For an extra measure of flexibility, tripod legs can be independently locked into place at two different angles to enable shooting in cramped quarters, on irregular surface areas, or at ground level
  • Two Leg Sections - Get the height you need and ultimate versatility
  • Twist Lock Legs with Anti-Rotation System - MeFOTO's innovative rubberized locking grips combined with anti-rotation legs enable fast and fumble-free set-up plus weather and dust-resistance
It is Excellent, and very easy to Travel with.

Last edited:
Why not for macro? The centre column reverses and you use the camera upside down. How did you do it with your previous manfrotto?

We have two, a lightweight but sturdy resnapper carbon for travel, a manfrotto 55 for solid stable work but I would like to carry it far.

Last edited:
Why not for macro? The centre column reverses and you use the camera upside down. How did you do it with your previous manfrotto?

We have two, a lightweight but sturdy resnapper carbon for travel, a manfrotto 55 for solid stable work but I would like to carry it far.

If I understand it correctly the center column is limited to going low and will not have any reach. This will make it useful for low objects but it will be very limited imo.

I was thinking that I would have two as well. One for travel and one to use around the city. The problem is that I think I will end up only using the 55 at home for macro because I won't want to carry it and I will end up hardly using it. That seems like a waist considering the money I have paid for it.

My Manfrotto tripods (an old style 190 and the modern 190X) can both have their centre columns mounted upside down or at 90°, meaning that they can actually go below ground level. The 90° setting is handy for macro low level work. IMO far easier than wrestling with the Benbo types.

Excellent and costly would be my opinion of Gitzo, very satisfied with mine.
Series 1 are ideal for carrying everywhere, 4 section models close down to a compact size and weigh very little.
Series 3 systematic is my favourite, no centre column, but still tall enough. Light, sturdy and closes down to under 2ft, in my opinion definitely the best and yes I have owned other makes.

What do you guys think about the Gitzo tripod?
TBH, I don't think they really justify their costs... and I own two (purchased used).

I also own a Benbo Classic 2 and a CF Benro Versatile. My Benbo is huge/heavy. But they also make a Treker and a Mini-Treker version that might suit you... but I think David's "bagpipe" comment is fitting. I've owned the Benro for over 5yrs w/o an issue (older twist lock version)... I've had it completely apart (for cleaning) and it's pretty well made.

Lightweight! How do you think I used to get on with a Mamiya RZ, suite of lenses and the 075 with cranked centre column - I used to lugg that through the mountains for heavens sake...you need to do some weights!

Be careful with the carbon tripod. I have one for flying with, and the 055 size straight pull legs (I can't remember the model designation) Carbon becomes VERY brittle in cold weather, so don't knock it against a rock etc if doing frozen waterfalls and the like. I would also sugest you weigh the centre down when using it, carbon seems to get a vibration through it that the alloy ones don't - more prone to wind vibration that is for sure. Hang you camera bag off the centre to help deaden those vibes.

Be careful with the carbon tripod. I have one for flying with, and the 055 size straight pull legs (I can't remember the model designation) Carbon becomes VERY brittle in cold weather, so don't knock it against a rock etc if doing frozen waterfalls and the like. I would also sugest you weigh the centre down when using it, carbon seems to get a vibration through it that the alloy ones don't - more prone to wind vibration that is for sure. Hang you camera bag off the centre to help deaden those vibes.
CF will NOT last as long as aluminum/magnesium... it's basically plastic (resin) after all. Very prone to damage/weathering (but not corrosion). It also has greater linear strength, but less torsional rigidity... that's why they keep increasing the number and complexity of weaves. IME, you have to get a CF tripod of about equal weight (much higher weight rating and cost) to get equal torsional rigidity (twist/vibration).

My big CF tripod weighs over 6lbs and is rated for something like 90lbs load... but it can't hold 15lbs entirely stable at 1200mm effective (some of that is probably also in the heads). It still suffers from mirror slap, wind, nearby movement, etc.

Three of my six tripods are CF... it has it's advantages, and it's disadvantages (yes, I own six tripods; and I hate them all).

Lightweight! How do you think I used to get on with a Mamiya RZ, suite of lenses and the 075 with cranked centre column - I used to lugg that through the mountains for heavens sake...you need to do some weights!

Exactly what I do if required - hang my bag off the centre column hook, but generally it works ok without.
My reasoning for a lightweight CF tripod was that I'd carry it and hence have it to use. My backpack is already 11kg, I didn't need more to carry. Theres the heavy tripod available for short distances, boot of the car etc, but if you've a few miles to trek, the lightweight comes everytime.

With Tripods I've always found they are a compromise so having a pair with different heads gets me around the issues.

If anybody wants, I have got a Benbo tripod for sale, you just need a truck to collect it LOL

Thanks guys. The manfrotto was a good tripod but this Gitzo is a great tripod. I'm super happy with it. I really learned a lot through this experience. There are so many tripods out there it can really get confusing trying to pick one.

I am getting better every week. Some days are better than others but I keep pushing forward knowing that one day this will all be a memory.
Thanks for all your well wishes, it means a lot to me.

The tripod was the last major thing I had to replace to get all my equipment replaced that had been lost in the accident. I still have a filter or two but all the important stuff is in order.

Now I am really close to being able to walk well enough to get back to my passion of street photography. I have stepped up my physical therapy and hope to be well enough to plan a trip abroad back to Asia early next year.

Once again,

Thanks to everyone for not only your great advise but all of your support during these trying times.

You guys are the best.

I bought a Gitzo that gt2541ex that the center column can be moved all around not just upside down. I am able to put my camera anywhere I need it to be and you can't do that with a reversible column. The only thing that is good for is getting low.

Back