Beginner Looking to upgrade from a Nikon D90 to Nikon D7100

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, I'm seeking some guidance on what I should do and where to spend my money.:rolleyes:

Currently I'm using the NIkon D90 body with a Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens. I also have 2 prime lenses, a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G and a Nikon 50mm f/1.8G Lens.

I do a fair amount of walking and enjoy taking landscapes but I also have a family and like to photograph their antics.
However, in May this year, I'm going to the The Grand Canyon and Las Vegas for a family holiday and I'm looking to upgrade my equipment for this trip. :tumbleweed:

I'm contemplating upgrading the body to a Nikon D7100 but I'm also aware that I may need additional lenses.!!

Budget wise, I've got around the £800 to invest but I may have a little more for the right bit of kit!.

How would you spend this money if you had it burning a hole in your pocket? :banghead::banghead:

:ty: in advance.

Matt

£540 will get you a new 7100 & leave you enough to get a lens...

Is the D90 going to fund it aswell or is that extra?

I would be wanting some sort of UWA lens, so perhaps the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 or the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5. The Tokina is £309 from hdew cameras here. D7100's seem to be going for around £450 for a second hand body on here, but you won't have access to the classifieds. Panamoz have them for £555 via BT here.

Are you happy having 105mm as the furthest focal length or do you need more?

Welcome to the forum from another D7100 owner. :)

NSFW? I was expecting some nudity and was trying to get my head around how one might fit that into a "shall I upgrade" thread?

:D

NSFW? I was expecting some nudity and was trying to get my head around how one might fit that into a "shall I upgrade" thread?

:D

LOL.....I was wondering what that NSFW meant.....Now I know...................I'll ask my wife if she would mind being upgraded whilst I took some photos!! lol

LOL.....I was wondering what that NSFW meant.....Now I know...................I'll ask my wife if she would mind being upgraded whilst I took some photos!! lol

Erm...I'd not mention to her that she'd need an upgrade prior to being photographed as she may take it the wrong way. Ladies can be funny like that. :D

I would be wanting some sort of UWA lens, so perhaps the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 or the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5. The Tokina is £309 from hdew cameras here. D7100's seem to be going for around £450 for a second hand body on here, but you won't have access to the classifieds. Panamoz have them for £555 via BT here.

Thanks. I'm glad I found the forum.
I thought about a UWL and I think it would be a wise investment. It's a shame about not being able to access the classifieds. I feel a little wary buying from Ebay etc. I'll look at your links and see where I go from there. :)
My mother has a 200mm lens that I can borrow when I go away so that should help.

Erm...I'd not mention to her that she'd need an upgrade prior to being photographed as she may take it the wrong way. Ladies can be funny like that. :D

Fair Point! However....you don't know my wife (good job she wont read this otherwise i'd need the money for my camera upgrade for a divorce solicitor!!LOL !)

My advice would be to keep the D90 and spent the budget on lenses and a decent tripod.

The D7100 is a very good camera, but it won't make your pictures any better (unless you need more resolution).

Get an ultra wide lens (Tokina 11-16/2.8) or even fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm for wide angle Grand Canyon shots. Then you can get an excellent second hand 17-55/2.8 or the special Sigma 18-35/1.8 for your family shots. You can then sell your 18-105 to recover some money.

Any of these could give you potential to take better pictures than if you just upgrade body from D90 to D7100.

My advice would be to keep the D90 and spent the budget on lenses and a decent tripod.

The D7100 is a very good camera, but it won't make your pictures any better (unless you need more resolution).

Get an ultra wide lens (Tokina 11-16/2.8) or even fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm for wide angle Grand Canyon shots. Then you can get an excellent second hand 17-55/2.8 or the special Sigma 18-35/1.8 for your family shots. You can then sell your 18-105 to recover some money.

Any of these could give you potential to take better pictures than if you just upgrade body from D90 to D7100.

Okay. Great advice. Thanks MPE. The UWL seems to be the way forward and I'll look into the other lenses and go from there.

Is it good David? Seen a lot of good reviews but not anyone who actually has it

I have the above mentioned Sigma 18-35... tis a work of art. It's like having 17 prime lenses. :D

You have far too much money mate! ..........actually I'm just jealous :p :D

Lol, if only that were true. The lens is limited, but for a walk around lens (all be it a heavy one!) it's good. Having had the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 previously the weight is similar. The trade off is a shorter focal length but a faster aperture. DXO scored the Sigma much better than the 17-55 but I haven't noticed major differences. The Siggy looks better imo and is more refined too. The new Art lenses are bootiful.

Hi again, I managed to pick up the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8.
Thanks for your advice. It will arrive tomorrow so looking forward to putting it through its paces.

Now, I've a bit of a dilemma, I want to get a good quality tripod to take with me to the states however, I also need to be able to use it for landscape photography. So it needs to be both compact but very stable.

Can someone point me in the right direction what I might purchase.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
The BeFree range are nice from Manfrotto and seem to get decent reviews. I have a Red Snapper tripod and it's always been good enough for me. Not sure how compact you need though but it folds up and fits in a nice bag.

Back