Critique Low angle at Ennerdale with edfits and another shot

It doesn't really work to my eyes as all sense of scale seems distorted with the foreground looking impossibly large.

I'm sure you would have taken a few more conventional shots as the light and scenery are superb.

I feel the wave and rocks create a barrier across the middle of the image making it seem dis-jointed, there looks like 2 good pictures in there.

I like this as it's different to the usual height, perspective of how the typical person would of shot it! The water looks like it drops off an edge at the back of the shot.

Different is good, that's how I see it!

Thanks for the comments guys

I quite liked that. Interesting angle which kept my interest and the relatively low shutter speed has kept the sense of movement in the water. The wave being across the middle of the picture 'splits' it. Perhaps getting the wave after it's broken and is spread out flat on the shore would have looked better?

I'm sure you would have got some conventional shots as the light and scenery are superb but I'd have skipped over them - thanks for doing something interesting :)

^^^^^^ +1
I thought just the same as I viewed the image.
I scrolled down until the breaking wave formed almost the lower edge of the frame and in this panoramic format, it seemed more dramatic for me.
Beautiful lighting and scenery, well caught!

Crop is better but Wayland is bang on the money with his suggestion of a crop for the second picture.

I can see four different crops that I prefer to the whole image (I'm only looking at the first one at the start of the thread). Of those four, the one that gives the strongest image to me requires removing the top of the frame to leave just the merest hint of sky above the right hand peak that comes out from the water in the centre (meaning most of the land mass on the right hand side is out of frame, or about the top quarter of the image). Couple that with a small crop at the bottom to remove the distracting and out of focus lighter pebbles (one about a fifth of the way in from the left, the other almost in the bottom right corner).

These together make more of the low viewpoint, and give more of an impression of the eye skimming across the water. This effect just doesn't exist for me in the original.

The second image has a more drastic crop on the bottom than I'm suggesting.

Back