Critique Luminescence (B&W)

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
I've been concentrating on B&W for some time and - as previously posted - I have been reading the 'From Basics to Fine Art' book by Julia Anna Gospodarou and Joel Tjintjelaar. Becasuse of its B&W speciality I have tended to post images on the B&W forum:

http://bthedigitalmonochromeforum.runboard.com/

And I strongly recommend it to anyone wanting to develop B&W images. But I have learned a lot from folk on here too and so I thought I'd post one of my images that has been heavily influenced by the G&T book - which I also recommend - I have got a tremendous amount from it.

Anyway - here is the image:

15675897459_817d12347f_b.jpg

And a very fine image it is too and I'll follow up the link also, thanks.

Thanks for that - hope you find the B&W forum interesting

Fantastic image! Really well composed. I wish I had an eye for that sort of thing. Nice one!

That's really good Chris, you've come on a long way in a short space of time with your mono shots. (y)

Last edited:
Lovely abstract image well done

Thanks very much - I have put a lot of effort into improving my B&W, and struggled a lot with it but I don't like giving in and am beginning to get somewhere with it.

Lovely abstract in my favourite medium. Keep 'em coming

Thanks - yes when I have got something that I think is 'right' I'll post it.

I may even post another variation of this one too - as I need to try to apply one of the concepts in the G&T book - they call it 'photographic drawing' - but don't yet know if I can do it.

I also want to take some photos specifically with my new knowledge (such as it is - I think I will need to read the book several times to be able to absorb most of it) in mind.

This one was one that I took some time ago and which seemed a suitable case for treatment:)

Great image, very surreal, looks like something from War of the Worlds..mono and the pp works well

Robin

Thanks Robin - have to say that largely down to G&T

I've been concentrating on B&W for some time and - as previously posted - I have been reading the 'From Basics to Fine Art' book by Julia Anna Gospodarou and Joel Tjintjelaar. Becasuse of its B&W speciality I have tended to post images on the B&W forum:

http://bthedigitalmonochromeforum.runboard.com/

And I strongly recommend it to anyone wanting to develop B&W images. But I have learned a lot from folk on here too and so I thought I'd post one of my images that has been heavily influenced by the G&T book - which I also recommend - I have got a tremendous amount from it.

Anyway - here is the image:

15675897459_817d12347f_b.jpg

Hi Chris, could you tell me if "from basics to fine art" is an actual book or an ebook please? I've been getting into black and white lately and based on your recommendation (and cracking photo, btw), it seems like a book that I'd be really interested in reading, but I can't seem to find it for sale as an actual book anywhere.

Really good clean modern image, abstract art as it should be, brilliant work Chris

Geoff

............... it seems like a book that I'd be really interested in reading, but I can't seem to find it for sale as an actual book anywhere.

It is only available - at the moment - as an e-book, actually a pdf, I understand that it will be available as a 'proper' book but I don't have any info on when. My guess it that it will be a lot more than the £39 for the e-version.

One advantage of an e-version is that you can easily add comments/highlight bits that you think are important - and I wouldn't do that on a 'proper' book. If you want to rationalise getting it then it is a lot cheaper than going on a course:)

But don't get it if you want lots of detailed advice on processing into B&W. There IS advice on how to process to get the effect that G&T produce but there isn't chapter and verse on which buttons to press in photoshop or other software.

There is (what I regard as) a comprehensive section on stuff like 'vision' and other philosophical aspects, as well as more practical things like composition - which is the best collection of advice on composition that I have seen - including some new stuff that I have never seen anywhere else

I have found it excellent VFM. In saying that I perhaps should say that I regard myself as an 'advanced novice' and not as a proficient photographer. Eg I have had one second place in an open competition at my local camera club and one third place in the Intermediate section (out of about 7 entries), and I make loads of elementary mistakes when out photographing eg forgetting to look at the histogram on the back of the camera:(

Also I took several months to read it - and whilst generally easy to follow it isn't something that you read and think, "that's that then" - you need to absorb it.

And so it is something that I wil be going back to.

I always find a Gin and Tonic helps too ;)

Joking aside, that is a fine abstract image, I like it a lot.

Thanks for that Paul - I generally prefer a beer (real ale) but have been known to imbibe in a G&T (with ice:)

Really good clean modern image, abstract art as it should be, brilliant work Chris

Geoff

Thanks Geoff - it is always nice to receive compliments.

But a friend of mine didn't like it because 'It doesn't look real/I don't know what it is' but as I liked it I didn't mind what she said.

It is only available - at the moment - as an e-book, actually a pdf, I understand that it will be available as a 'proper' book but I don't have any info on when. My guess it that it will be a lot more than the £39 for the e-version.

One advantage of an e-version is that you can easily add comments/highlight bits that you think are important - and I wouldn't do that on a 'proper' book. If you want to rationalise getting it then it is a lot cheaper than going on a course:)

But don't get it if you want lots of detailed advice on processing into B&W. There IS advice on how to process to get the effect that G&T produce but there isn't chapter and verse on which buttons to press in photoshop or other software.

There is (what I regard as) a comprehensive section on stuff like 'vision' and other philosophical aspects, as well as more practical things like composition - which is the best collection of advice on composition that I have seen - including some new stuff that I have never seen anywhere else

I have found it excellent VFM. In saying that I perhaps should say that I regard myself as an 'advanced novice' and not as a proficient photographer. Eg I have had one second place in an open competition at my local camera club and one third place in the Intermediate section (out of about 7 entries), and I make loads of elementary mistakes when out photographing eg forgetting to look at the histogram on the back of the camera:(

Also I took several months to read it - and whilst generally easy to follow it isn't something that you read and think, "that's that then" - you need to absorb it.

And so it is something that I wil be going back to.

That sounds exactly like the sort of book I need to be honest, something which I can work through slowly over a few months rather than a quick read for a few hours. I'm not too bad with the technical side of things and post processing isn't too much of an issue. The area where I need improvement is the artsy vision side of it all, which is exactly what it sounds like this book offers. I'm mainly shooting black and white film anyway so post processing is even less of an issue :)

I think I will give this book a go, like you say the paper version is likely to cost a lot more than £39 if/when it is released.

Thanks for the recommendation :)

....................... The area where I need improvement is the artsy vision side of it all, which is exactly what it sounds like this book offers. I'm mainly shooting black and white film anyway so post processing is even less of an issue :)

I think I will give this book a go, like you say the paper version is likely to cost a lot more than £39 if/when it is released.

Please be sure to let me know how you get on with it - I am as sure as I can be that you won't be disappointed because - in my view - it gives a comprehensive approach to photography - and you may surprise yourself and find that, despite your expectations, you do learn stuff about aspects other than the artsy side.

Good luck:)

Last edited:
That sounds exactly like the sort of book I need to be honest, something which I can work through slowly over a few months rather than a quick read for a few hours. I'm not too bad with the technical side of things and post processing isn't too much of an issue. The area where I need improvement is the artsy vision side of it all, which is exactly what it sounds like this book offers. I'm mainly shooting black and white film anyway so post processing is even less of an issue :)

Very nice image, Chris, I like the effect a lot, a great abstract image.

Re the ebook, it is available for £29-95 today as a Black Friday offer here: http://sites.fastspring.com/juliaannagospodarou/product/frombasicstofineart.

Thanks for that Umm:)

(Sorry - no doubt is has been said loads of times before:()

Last edited:
Back