Luton Half Marathon

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
My wife decided to run the half marathon so had to take the opportunity to take my camera whilst looking after my 2 little ones.

The eldest of which became a sweetie giver to help the runners along.

This is my first go at doing this type of photography.

1. Support team, Darcie looks bored but she was loving it and loved the comments from runners about the chair

Luton Half Marathon-6666-07
by bthomas124, on Flickr

2. Last Vegas (Film reference)

Luton Half Marathon-6687-27
by bthomas124, on Flickr

3. This guy has Cerebral Palsy and is part of the Running club my wife is with and he is so blooming fast.

Luton Half Marathon-6704-44
by bthomas124, on Flickr

4. When is it going to end

Luton Half Marathon-6679-19
by bthomas124, on Flickr

5. Striders

Luton Half Marathon-6672-13
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Luton Half Marathon-6773-103
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Luton Half Marathon-6749-79 by bthomas124, on Flickr

8. Where did she come from

Luton Half Marathon-6684-24
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Full set on Flickr >>>> HERE <<<<

All comments welcome and appreciated.

:ty:

Last edited:
Nice enough I think the position you shot from could have been better thought out
Not too keen on the wire fence to be honest- and the general BG seems cluttered maybe a wider aperture would have softened this to some extent

and maybe look for getting up close and personal to capture some pain and emotion shot at f4 to soften the BG and isolate the main subject

like this I shot at the Local 10 miler

well, you did ask :D:D:D:D:D

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice enough I think the position you shot from could have been better thought out
Not too keen on the wire fence to be honest- and the general BG seems cluttered maybe a wider aperture would have softened this to some extent

and maybe look for getting up close and personal to capture some pain and emotion shot at f4 to soften the BG and isolate the main subject

Les

Appreciated mate, I did shoot at F4 btw... the lowest aperture for the 24-105mm. I don't know if you have ever been to Luton but it ain't pretty lol

It was all a bit of fun and now the dunstable road runners want to make me their official group tog so will work on what you have said and try and find some better spots. Though you can see I was dragging my 2 kids around so didn't have full concentration on the photography side. :)

Les
agree 100 per cent

Good first attempt bryn (y), sports is very different and I think you'll agree, a lot harder than it first appears. Taking photos of "people running" - especially toward you - you have to focus and click the shutter to try and grab that moment where (1) they're not blinking (2) you have a good facial expression to get the viewer interested in how much effort the runner is putting in.

I really like #4 and #5 because you have captured that. They look pooped - Im really feeling their effort. #6 is just really cute - the one's on your flickr where the runners are looking at your daughter, very very cute :)

What I may suggest, to give something different to your photos, would be some experimentation - would be good practice and applicable to other sports stuff when you get to do it.

For example, try some side shots and a slower shutterspeed to get some panning, make it look like the runners are going really fast. If there is a fence in front of them - focus on the fence and let the runners blur in the background.
You could also get the down low, down to the ground if possible, again, maybe a side shot (though you could get away with a front shot), zoom in on their feet and slow the shutterspeed down to 160th or 100th or even 1/60th, just have a feet/blur shot.
You could do the same for the arms as they swing back and forth.

Its good to shoot a different subject and I bet you've learned a fair bit from it too.

As les says, get in close with the zoom, the background will be much more blurred at F4/5.6 and some closer facial shots (ooooh errrr) will get rid of any distracting backgrounds :) Hope some of this is useful for you bud, look forward to seeing more!

Good first attempt bryn (y), sports is very different and I think you'll agree, a lot harder than it first appears. Taking photos of "people running" - especially toward you - you have to focus and click the shutter to try and grab that moment where (1) they're not blinking (2) you have a good facial expression to get the viewer interested in how much effort the runner is putting in.

I really like #4 and #5 because you have captured that. They look pooped - Im really feeling their effort. #6 is just really cute - the one's on your flickr where the runners are looking at your daughter, very very cute :)

What I may suggest, to give something different to your photos, would be some experimentation - would be good practice and applicable to other sports stuff when you get to do it.

For example, try some side shots and a slower shutterspeed to get some panning, make it look like the runners are going really fast. If there is a fence in front of them - focus on the fence and let the runners blur in the background.
You could also get the down low, down to the ground if possible, again, maybe a side shot (though you could get away with a front shot), zoom in on their feet and slow the shutterspeed down to 160th or 100th or even 1/60th, just have a feet/blur shot.
You could do the same for the arms as they swing back and forth.

Its good to shoot a different subject and I bet you've learned a fair bit from it too.

As les says, get in close with the zoom, the background will be much more blurred at F4/5.6 and some closer facial shots (ooooh errrr) will get rid of any distracting backgrounds :) Hope some of this is useful for you bud, look forward to seeing more!

Very helpful thanks mate great responses from you and Les...

I did shoot for a lower angle on the fence set but panning is something I do need to try it not done it before bar the dragonflies etc... and certainly not tried the blurred effect.

If I can get the grandparents to look after the kids I can try some different stuff as I can move away from them etc.

Thanks again guys really appreciate the effort you have put in too respond.

Very helpful thanks mate great responses from you and Les...

I did shoot for a lower angle on the fence set but panning is something I do need to try it not done it before bar the dragonflies etc... and certainly not tried the blurred effect.

If I can get the grandparents to look after the kids I can try some different stuff as I can move away from them etc.

Thanks again guys really appreciate the effort you have put in too respond.
no worries mate, forgot you were looking at the nippers on your own that day and of course, you cant leave them. Bet that wasn't much fun, trying to photograph and watch the kids at the same time :confused: I get real stressed when I have tried it. Wont be long before they will both be joining you taking photos as well (y) then it will be fun!! :)

Back