Macho and Camp – Men at Work

Name
Alison
Edit My Images
Yes
I fancied trying to capture some shots of people in their working environment today and these were the best of a bad bunch.

#1 – Random forklift driver - I just love his camp facial expression :)

Forklift.jpg

#2 – Macho roof mender

Roofer.jpg

#1 was a candid grab so whilst C + C would be very welcome it’s not a shot I can go back and take again. There may be similar situations in the future though so any advice on composition, choice of lens, perspective, subsequent PP etc. would be much appreciated :)

I can reshoot #2 on Tuesday morning, weather permitting.

This guy was a real poseur and having seen the image on the camera viewing screen wants to buy it from me to post on his website. I’m not happy with it though and would like to do better. What could I do to improve it?

These are excellent Alison, I wouldn't change a thing.

Good work.

I really like them both. The first is a great capture, and the second copes well with the exposure against the sky.

My only really tiny tiny gripe would be the frame of the forklift in the upper right corner (it draws my wonky eyes away from the subject). But that's a tiny thing.

Nice shots.

-H

Last edited:
These are excellent Alison, I wouldn't change a thing.

Good work.

Comments much appreciated Les :) but please promise that this isn’t a wind-up; I can see so many faults in #2 – maybe it’s my monitor? :shrug: The highlights in the bloke’s cheeks look overblown and just “wrong” for one thing. There seems to be a lot of noise/grain too. And the sharpening I've done looks unsympathetic. Apart from that it’s fine! :LOL: If you’re not winding me up, maybe I might just be too much of a perfectionist; if that’s case please give me a slap :bat:

I actually think that #1 is a really nice capture and well exposed.

I take it by candid you mean without permission?
Yep, without permission and the subject having no idea that they were being photographed. I’m not sure what official etiquette decrees but my own approach is based on simple good manners, showing them the shot on the camera viewing screen and asking if it’s OK to post it on a public forum. This guy loved the pic, was happy for me to post it here and gave me his e-mail address so that I could send him a Jpeg as he liked it so much.

I really like them both. The first is a great capture, and the second copes well with the exposure against the sky.

My only really tiny tiny gripe would be the frame of the forklift in the upper right corner (it draws my wonky eyes away from the subject). But that's a tiny thing.

Nice shots.

-H
Thanks for taking the time to comment, H :)

I’m struggling to crop that frame out without losing the steering wheel which is what gave some context to the shot.

Last edited:
Comments much appreciated Les :) but please promise that this isn’t a wind-up; I can see so many faults in #2 – maybe it’s my monitor? :shrug: The highlights in the bloke’s cheeks look overblown and just “wrong” for one thing. There seems to be a lot of noise/grain too. And the sharpening I've done looks unsympathetic. Apart from that it’s fine! :LOL: If you’re not winding me up, maybe I might just be too much of a perfectionist; if that’s case please give me a slap :bat:

No wind-up Alison, just checked on my first (calibrated) 24 inch monitor, and a second 19 inch (uncalibrated) monitor and there are no blown highlights anywhere on either image.

If I was going to be really picky, there is a smidgen of noise in the first guys face, but nothing to complain about. And the sharpening looks spot on,

So either:

You are a perfectionist and need to ease up on yourself a bit more.

You need a new monitor

You need a slap :)

Back