Macro Lens for Begineer

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All,

I have recently purchased a Nikon D3200, and would like to have a go at macro photography. I have had a surf through these forums about which macro lens to buy. As most of the posts advising on a good macro lens are quite old, I thought I would ask the question again. I have around £200 - £250 to spend on the lens, and need something that is quite easy to use due to my newbieness:) Any suggestions welcome

Many thanks in advance

Cheers
Russ

The closer you get and the larger the magnification the more difficult and technically challenging it gets, very quickly. Look into getting a Raynox macro adapter for your existing lens. Well inside your budget that will let you get into the macro world with good image quality and let you discover what kind of things you want to do. That will let you decide which kind of macro lens to buy. If indeed you want to go further than the Raynox can take you. Some people here are producing excellent macro photographs with Raynox adapters.

Since AF is relatively unimportant for macro, an older screw driven Tampon 90mm f:2.8 could be the answer. Similarly, the Sigma 105mm.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Are the Raynox adaptors easy to use Chris?

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Are the Raynox adaptors easy to use Chris?

Russell, They're very easy to use they just clip on to the front of your lens like a spring loaded lens cap and that's it. They'll fit various sizes of filter thread and within reason you can also make them fit other lenses with step up/step down rings. No exposure adjustment is needed and they are considerably better optically than close up filters. If you are thinking of getting one then the "250" is about right to do the sort of shots you are after.

Hope this helps.,

George.

Re the Raynox, 150 or 250, the answers easy, get both, and get both on Amazon not eBay as they are £10 cheaper on Amazon.

The 150 is much easier to use and once mastered the 250 is the next step.

Also they work well on zoom lenses but not wide angle zooms. I use them on all my lenses from 60mm and up and get excellent results and save a fortune over a dedicated macro lens.

Paul

Thanks for the advice. After looking through some older threads, i decided to go with the Tamron 90mm.

Thanks again
Russ

Another (even cheaper) option is to try reversing one of you existing lenses. It will cost you £5-10 for an adaptor.

Have a look at some of @Tintin124 's thread in the macro section for some really high magnification shots done with the canon kit lens.

In my opinion the best macro accessory you can get is a set of autofocus extension tubes.

They work with any lens and, having no other lenses cannot detract from the quality of whatever lens you use with them.

You can get a set of Polaroid ones on Amazon for £60 which get very good reviews from customers:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polaroid-Fo...kon+extension+tubes+autofocus#customerReviews

I have had a set of Kenko tubes for several years now and would not be without them.

I bought a set of Jessops manual focus extension tubes for my old D7000 2nd hand on Ebay and have had quite a bit of success with them

I found them to give very limited DOF compared to a true macro lens but for £20 they were a bargain.

I bought a set of Jessops manual focus extension tubes for my old D7000 2nd hand on Ebay and have had quite a bit of success with them

I found them to give very limited DOF compared to a true macro lens but for £20 they were a bargain.

If they weren't an automatic set then you were probably shooting with the lens wide open resulting in extremely limited DOF.

Having said that all Macro shots have very limited DOF anyway needing a very small aperture and a slow exposure (if indoors) or flash (if outdoors).

Begonia Stamens
by petersmart on Talk Photography
That was a fairly quick shot of begonia stamens taken by natural light at f32 on a combination of a 1.4x Kenko extender and Kenko extension tubes and the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens.
It shows the very limited DOF quite normal for macro shots.

Last edited:
+1 for dcr250 for me too, invaluable little piece of glass (and top quality too), dont go for those cheap £10 ebay "closeup" lenses. They're really really pants and you'll just put them on the shelf and buy a raynox in the end.

105mm macro nikkor ;) (see siggy for normal macro and macro with extension tubes.
Has manual controls so the tenner of extension tubes (from here - cowasaki) work with it. Using the wobbly technique ;)

For me, would depend on what you are intending to take macro pictures of. If dead or inanimate things, the 90mm, or 105mm (tamron, sigma/nikon) used is perfect, plus the 90/105 can be used a a longer distance portrait. Macro working distance varies, but from around 5cm ish or longer. With tubes closer to 1cm.

If you are intending to shoot live insects / small things, you may need a bit more working distance. Perhaps a sigma 150mm (never tried it but looked nice. bit heavy n big...) or the sigma 180mm. But before shelling out on these, I'd see about either hiring, or going to meet with other nikon users and seeing if you can borrow the lenses to try out.

After you have the lens, you will need a flash (probably) or diy flash adapter, off camera flash, arm bracket or the dedicated macro flash. All optional, depends on your light.

Enjoy! its an interesting hobby, especially trying to take pictures of dragon flies...!!

Back