Macro lens for Canon 70D

Name
Reg
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking to buy my first macro lens to use on my Canon 70D. I have been looking at the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM. Any thoughts on this lens or any recommendations for an alternative?

reg, I have a Canon 70D and recently brought the Sigma 105macro lens. I have used it and it is nice and sharp, but not given it a good exercising yet. I borrowed my daughters before I made the purchase and she got fed up with me wanting it (don't know why as I bought it for her):eek:. My uses will be flowers, butterflies and creative shots. I am still getting used to it but. That is purely user ignorance but I am getting there.
best thing to do is try a couple out if you are close enough to a shop or maybe know someone with a macro lens.
Enjoy your searching.

Hi reg g
What will you be using it for ??.
Looking at taking close ups of flowers, insects etc.

reg, I have a Canon 70D and recently brought the Sigma 105macro lens. I have used it and it is nice and sharp, but not given it a good exercising yet. I borrowed my daughters before I made the purchase and she got fed up with me wanting it (don't know why as I bought it for her):eek:. My uses will be flowers, butterflies and creative shots. I am still getting used to it but. That is purely user ignorance but I am getting there.
best thing to do is try a couple out if you are close enough to a shop or maybe know someone with a macro lens.
Enjoy your searching.

Thanks Mandy. Do you have any images on here I could look at?

We've the Sigma 50mm macro and really like it - would be great for your flowers, not so good for insects - unless their dead and not moving :) I'd recommend at least 100mm if you want to shoot insects etc.

Thanks to all for the replies and advice. The Sigma 105 does look good, especially as it has image stabilisation whereas the Canon doesn't (I think). I was a little concerned that on my 70D it would give an effective length of around 160mm but is this really a concern for macro photography? I think I will have to go into my local store and see if I can try both lenses out.

hi reg
I would recommend canon 100 mm macro l is great lens

Thanks to all for the replies and advice. The Sigma 105 does look good, especially as it has image stabilisation whereas the Canon doesn't (I think). I was a little concerned that on my 70D it would give an effective length of around 160mm but is this really a concern for macro photography? I think I will have to go into my local store and see if I can try both lenses out.

The 100mm macro is fine on an aps-c camera like the 70D. It lets you be a little farther away than somehting like a 60mm would. The Canon 100mm L macro does have stabilisation but is a lot more expensive. From what I've read the Sigma 105mm OS is very good (I have the Canon 60mm and 100L but haven't used the sigma).

The 100mm macro is fine on an aps-c camera like the 70D. It lets you be a little farther away than somehting like a 60mm would. The Canon 100mm L macro does have stabilisation but is a lot more expensive. From what I've read the Sigma 105mm OS is very good (I have the Canon 60mm and 100L but haven't used the sigma).

Thanks for the reply. I think I will be looking to get the Sigma as reviews are very good and it is a lot less than the Canon 100L series lens.

I've been looking at a 60mm macro lens (Nikon), but decided to go with Sigma 105mm, because with the 60mm you have to be quite close to you subject which can throw shadows on the subject, and if taking insects(not my first choice subjects) you have to be very close which can frighten them.

Back