Macro lighting/shutter speed help

Edit My Images
Yes
**** PHOTOS ADDED****

I've been having a go at Macro, trying to capture insects in the garden but just can't seem to get decent shots like those recently posted by simon ess....though probably not expecting to :(

Tried using the 85mm f1.8 on the Canon 450D, with a Raynox 250, in daylight with fast shutter speed and been pretty close to capturing freeze shots of insects in flight at something like 1/2000sec. by upping the IS0 etc...:thinking:

But, also tried the 85mm f1.8 at dusk, and after reading about techniques on the forum, had a go with a set of extension tubes (cheap ones!), and using flash (built in flash) and come close to getting decent results, but I can't seem to get the fast speed that would help freeze the shot. With the pop-up flash the exposure is 1/200s and I lose the crispness in the shot :(

Is there a way of getting the faster shutter (better flash unit?) or is it down to being steady with the camera? Maybe the wrong lens?

It's frustrating haha!

Any tips where I'm going wrong?
Thanks!

Last edited:
To use flash with higher shutter speeds, you'll need to get an external flash that supports high speed sync....until then, you're stuck with 1/200th.

Bob

First of all - thanks very much. You flatter me :)

I'm not sure it's down to shutter speed when using flash. I routinely use 1/60 to 1/80 sec. The flash itself freezes motion. I must point out I'm no expert, just what I've figured out for myself.

Could you post a pic. for us to look at?

What Bob says is right but, high speed sync won't really help you to freeze the motion because it lengthens the flash duration to approximate continuous light for the duration of the exposure. I would keep above the sync speed to maximise your flash power.

Is the blur motion blur or is the insect out of focus? manual focus + tiny depth of field + low light + moving bugs = very difficult to nail focus

as above- but use f11 through to f16 for better dof

Les (y)

I find 1/200th, F11 @ ISO 100 is fine all the time. I use external flash but don't push up the shutter speed as I don't need to. The only changes I tend to make are to the flash exposure compensation dependant on ambient light.

Thanks for the tips. Been having a play with external flash and seen a bit of improvement. Will post a pic when I get some I'm happy with later.

Okay...Not many bugs etc around in the garden, but here's a few pics that I'm a little happier with, having read some of the threads, and the tips I've been getting.

Any C & C about the lighting, exif etc.
450D-ISO 400-f5.6-1/400s
NY 460-11 Flash on second power setting with the diffuser down (?).
These are the jpegs. I do have the RAW.
No cropping, just resized to post on TP.

Img_1140.jpg

Img_11452.jpg

Img_11651.jpg

Img_11841.jpg

The black along the bottom is probably caused by the lens in the way of the flash, so some kind of rig using a milk bottle or similar would help stop this, yes?
It's difficult but fun trying!!!
Thanks again!

The black band is probably caused by the shutter speed of 1/400s being too fast for the flash. The lens would give a semi circular shadow.
Try a slower shutter speed, around 1/200s should work better and still freeze movement.

Edit: This is the flash synch speed issue mentioned in post #2 above

Last edited:
Back